Item Won't Load In GUI, Just A Blank Page - OH 3.2

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Pi4 4Gb
    • Java Runtime Environment: Updated (forget which)
    • openHAB version: 3.2
  • Issue of the topic: Unlinked ToD_AFTERNOON item from an astro channel, now the item is blank when selected in the Items list in the GUI.
  • I can’t post the item configuration, because I can’t get to it.
  • I’m in the console now, but would need to know what to look for.

Hi

I was following this example here to make a pretty much exact replica of that example so that I’d gain a bit more knowhow on how things work (with the added bonus, afterward, to set a nightlight effectively), and I’d have a Time Of Day setting for use with various things.

However, I made a mistake in the setup (I’m sure these things happen) and needed to unlink the item. So I did. That action cannot be taken back, as it is set in stone as one of those things our ancestors will call “The Day MMM Unlinked The Item.

However now (after restarting the OH service and the Pi4 a couple of times) the item won’t load in the GUI at all. It’s completely blank and clicking ‘Edit’ also brings the same blank screen. It’s still in the list of Items, and I’m not allowed to add another one with the same name.

What should I do, here? Is there maybe a hidden set of text files like the ones in etc/openhab/items that I can look at?

What errors should I be looking for in the logs?

I’ve never seen that behavior before. Probably the easiest thing to do will be to restore a backup and then step through each step you took. It this is repeatable a bug may need to be filed.

I assume you are on Linux and you haven’t made too many changes since deleting the Link.

1. On the OH machine change directories to /var/lib/openhab/jsondb
  2. Stop openHAB
  3. Look for the most recent backup of org.openhab.core.items.Item.json as well as the most recent version of org.openhab.core.thing.link.ItemChannelLink.json from the backup folder. Remove the timestamp from the beginning of the backup file.
  4. Restart openHAB and see if the Item (and the link you deleted) comes back. You might need to go back a couple of backup verisons.

Then take screen shots of each step you take to delete the Link and post them so we can see what you did and hopefully reproduce it.

Well … now it’s just completely gone. :sweat_smile:

I’ve added it again.

Not sure what happened.

Happy to provide any logs to help identify if this is just an isolated incident, or something that might be repeatable and become a problem.

EDIT - AHHHHHH … I know what happened.

I clicked ‘Unlink & Remove Item’ instead of ‘Unlink Only’ … silly fool !

Still, took a good 30m to do anything about it.

Oh well, mistakes happen. Thanks anyway! :sweat_smile:

But it shouldn’t have still shown up in Settings → Items. Though I wonder if that page doesn’t automatically refresh (I suspect it almost certainly does not) so if you happened to have the Items page up and deleted the Item from another page the Item would still have been listed until that Items page was refreshed.

But if you did refresh the page after deleting the Item, that Items should have been gone. So there is still a little bit of weirdness going on here. I don’t think the logs will help in this case.

I refreshed, CTRL+F5 refreshed, and (like previously mentioned) even restarted stuff.

It is odd, especially that it recognised it as still being present in terms of not being able to add it again.

That is part of the weirdness. Definitely come back if it ever happens again. Once it’s deleted it should be gone so it’s not clear why it was hanging around as a zombie.