Items have no connection to the model after reboot

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: RASPI4B 4 GB
    • Java Runtime Environment:
    • openHAB version: 3.2

My configuration is :

Model modelled in Main UI
Items modelled in .Item Files.

After a reboot all my items now “out” of the model ( at the end of the list in the Main UI)
I tried the following and could fix it :

I renamed all items in each file and saved it again.
After that the connection to the model was established again.

But i like to understand this deeper.
Everytime after reboot to rename all items is …

I know that the model is organized as a bunch of structured group items.

Is it better when i have the items in “.item” files also to do the same with the model

and have it in a file like “model.items” as textual configuration and not add it via Main UI to the database ?

Do such a group item have a “special” ID to identify it as member of the model ?

You should not mix UI and *.items files when it comes to the Semantic model - results are unpredictable.

If you want to maintain the *.items files then you will have to put all the Semantic model stuff into *.items files too. Make sure to delete the UI-generated Items first!

Note the last paragraph in the linked forum post:

If part of the Semantic Model was defined and created using the UI you may find that your stuff has lost its position in the model after a restart of openHAB. Recommend that it’s either all UI, or all configuration files, but not a mixture, to reduce unpredictability!

Yes. Add the semantic tags to your items in file, by hand.

Thanks for the quick advice

@Karl1 you should not mix config via UI and files at all. It’s complex and not recommended - when you do, you’re basically asking for trouble (also beyond the semantic model).

1 Like