Items not responding

I have a pi3 that was running Jessie but I’m ready to for a fresh install to upgrade. So I installed a fresh copy of Buster, installed openhab2 and it is now up and running. I have an aeotec zwave stick which was the same thing I was using on Jessie and was working great. It shows as online and recognizes all my zwave devices. I made a copy of my items, rules, and sitemap files so I could bring those right over which I did. So now everything looks as if it should work as it did before but when I tell my openhab app or the basic UI to turn on a light nothing happens. I been googling to figure out what might be the issue but I can’t seem to pin point it despite feeling like there is just something small and simple I’m missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated

log.txt (64.8 KB) sitemap.txt (3.6 KB) items.txt (12.8 KB) things.txt (189 Bytes) rules.txt (3.3 KB)

You probably want to look at the UID of your zwave channels, and compare with those defined in your Items file. There’s no reason to think openHAB would have magically assigned the same ID when rediscovering zwave Things.

1 Like

The ids are based off the ID of the controller. If the controller was named the same, the discovered Things would also be named the same as they were.

1 Like

I did this recently, and my controller ID definitely changed. It took me awhile to realize that this was the case, and luckily only required a find-and-replace in VS Code to get everything working.

I thought the ID change might be due to me moving from a Pi3 to a Pi4, but perhaps not.

openHAB assigns a random network ID to the controller. The nodes are based off that adding the node number.

1 Like

wow, just wow, i knew it had to be something simple, things are working now, THANK YOU!!!

2 Likes

Okay, I think we’re all on the same page now. For the sake of future generations, when restoring to a new installation of OH, PaperUI will generate a new network ID for the controller. So in your item files, this:

zwave:device:old_controller_id:node#

Needs to become this:

zwave:device:new_controller_id:node#
1 Like

When you first add the controller Thing you can set that ID if you have the old one saved. That saves having to change Items links.

2 Likes

Well yeah, if I knew that at the time… :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to add a “restoring on a new system” section to the Z-Wave documentation. It would be useful to know this beforehand, as well as to copy the controller’s Network Security Key to minimize issues with securely-included devices.

Short of documentation changes, maybe we just need a “Restoring Z-Wave” post to collect all of the tips in one place so that there’s a spot we can point people at.

1 Like

I know the binding is undergoing a complete rewrite so things may change in the future. Who knows what surprises OH3 will hold?

1 Like