Items to enter data

Hello,

I am trying to link an Item to my channel where the user can enter data which is than passed to the channel. In detail he should enter a Target Temperature. However I was not able to find any standard item which I can link to the channel in order to receive that Input from the User. I am just able to display data or use a Switch, but did not find a possibility to get a String as an input.
Does this yet not exist? Or how should I approach it?

Any help appreciated.

I’m not going to give a direct answer here. Because this is a basic concept. If you don’t understand this you need to do some more research. This is a case of give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime Look into the documentation, look at other bindings.

1 Like

The concept I understood. I checked also with other plugins. In general my implementation works. However I think it is more related to openhab3. I am used to openhab2, there it works as expected. I have not fully understood the new concepts in openhab3 and there are no documenation about the WebUI yet. I have seen, that there are a thread which is starting to write the documentation but I haven’t seen something finished yet.

So far I am not able to create an equivalent in the openhab3 WebUI. In openhab2 I created an item then add it to the paperUI and there I can edit it as expected. What do I need to do in openhab3 WebUI to achieve that?

The basic concepts have not changed:

• configure/discover things
  • link the channels of the things to items
  • setup your UI for your items for interaction
  • (automate via rules)

… then you just scratched the surface there. :wink:
PaperUI was intended for administration and not as interface for “end users”…

And: PaperUI has been abandoned with openHAB3.
Therefore you really should read about the new MainUI when continue trying to get into openHAB3 :wink:

Probably start here: Building Pages in the OH3 UI: documentation draft (1/3)

Some hint though:
Simple example regarding your setpoint-question (out the many options now) is to add a “cell” or a “card” to one of your “pages” and connect your setpoint item to it, e.g.

… results in that interactive card:

1 Like

Thank you. That was what I was looking for. I used to use only PaperUI, as I use openhab as a bridge to control a lot of different systems. Therefore I did not use the WebUI much often.
It’s working fine. Now I can finish my binding and publish it afterwards to public.