Java JNI binding for Z-Way library - can it be interesting to extend OpenHAB with the modern Z-Wave including Security S2, SmartStart, Long Range and other features?

Z-Wave.Me has recently release a new Java JNI binding for the Z-Way library. It is not binding to the full Z-Way server (Z-Way - Bindings | openHAB), but just the C-level Z-Wave library. Can it be interesting to OpenHAB developer to extend the existing OpenHAB Z-Wave implementation (ZWave - Bindings | openHAB) with a second option with the modern Z-Wave engine including Security S2, Long Range and other features?

More info here:

and here:

@chris ?

I would assume that licensing might be one of the obstacles to doing this in the OpenHAB foundation.

Another possibility for a second zwave connection is zwave-js-ui which is an open source zwave to mqtt path. It has all the features you mentioned, most of what can be done using Simplicity Studio and is applying for certification with the Zwave Alliance. I am not a developer but have been testing this as a supplemental app leaving all my rules and charts with OH4. It is too early for a full report, but I have duplicated (with some minor rule mods) what I was doing with the OH zwave binding on Rpi4 2G (30+ nodes). There are some quirks (nothing serious) and some things that are easier. There was a very minor increase in CPU (0.5%) and maybe 5% increase in memory (45% to 50%) by adding the program.

The drawback I see so far is that I had to use the direct zwave-js-ui “zwave” option with generic Mqtt in OH4. This requires some zwave knowledge to set up the channels as numbers represent status (ie. motion detected =8). I used a couple of MAP transforms to get it into English. The zwave-js-ui homeassistant mqtt option with auto discovery has some of the JSON strings can’t be resolved with jinjava. I’ve registered some github issues. For more than hobbyist use, the homeassistant discovery issues will need to be addressed and would probably need to be an openhabian installation option.