JavaScript missing after upgrading to OH4 and addons not available to install

Hello,

recently upgraded from OH3.4 to OH4.1.1 on Debian Bullseye, using apt-get

first error was that Openhab did not resolve depencies correctly, I needed to manually upgrade to Java 17. So the apt script should be updated on OH side.

openhab-addons was installed, but now I receive this message in my blockly rules:

[ERROR] [ript.internal.ScriptEngineManagerImpl] - ScriptEngine for language ‘application/javascript’ could not be found for identifier: 392451e1-abcf-4522-8933-020a69d74684

There is no JS addon in the addons-section. feature:list shows this:

openhab>
feature:list | grep Script
openhab-automation-groovyscripting x 4.1.1 x x Uninstalled x openhab-addons-4.1.1 x Groovy Scripting
openhab-automation-jrubyscripting x 4.1.1 x x Uninstalled x openhab-addons-4.1.1 x JRuby Scripting
openhab-automation-jsscripting x 4.1.1 x x Uninstalled x openhab-addons-4.1.1 x JavaScript Scripting
openhab-automation-jsscriptingnashorn x 4.1.1 x x Uninstalled x openhab-addons-4.1.1 x JavaScript Scripting (Nashorn)
openhab-automation-jythonscripting x 4.1.1 x x Uninstalled x openhab-addons-4.1.1 x Jython Scripting

I already looked into all related topics but nothing seems to work for me, because I have no way of installing the JavaScript addon, as of now.

No, this was included in our announcement, you need to manually update your Java version.
This is because there are several on the market and openHAB lets you select the one you want to use.

Why is that?
You will find it in the add-ons store under automation.

One of the other changes mentioned in all the 4 upgrade docs is Blockly. In OH3 Blockly is compiles to the older Nashorn js, but that has been upgraded now in OH4 to the newer JS Scripting. You need to install the JavaScript Scripting add-on (which is available given the output of your feature:list).

Then you need to look on the forums for information about getting each of the blockly rules updated. I believe that you just have to open each rule and re-save it again, but I don’t recall if there is more than that.

There is no category “automation”, there is only the category “Binding”:

thats the main problem. And I cant find any console command to install that. If there is a console version, please tell me where to find the doc plz.

Look at the bottom of that page. There are four tabs.

1 Like

Oh wow.

Ok thanks.

Then I have to do the obvious nomination for the UX from hell award. This is a very good example how to not design a good UI/UX. Or is this already nominated?

Ok but at least its solved and my recommendation is to consult a UI/UX designer to improve the user-journey. Im not available anymore though.

What browser and device are you using? That tab bar is at the bottom of the visible screen in most every interface; yours is the exception.

1 Like

its also on the bottom of my screen, but thats the wrong place. Its the last place where something like this is to be expected, especially if you have menu bars on all other sides of the screen as well.

There are established patterns how to implement navigation bars and menus and how to design them, there is no reason for a little project to try something else thats not proven. As we can see, this attempt failed.

I once made a similar experience when Tibco moved the Spotfire tabs from top to bottom. A colleague then said you need to think like working with Excel where tabs are also at the bottom. So there is different software using tabs at the bottom - it is not only ‘for a little project to try something else thats not proven’.

1 Like

Clearly not. You did not see it initially, and it does not show in the screenshot you provided. It seems that in your case it is at the bottom of the page and not at the bottom of the screen where it should be regardless of the length of the page. If you answer my question about your browser and device then maybe that issue can be diagnosed and addressed. Your complaint about the unintuitive location is based on faulty data because off-the-screen is not where it is for most other users. But, if you want it to be a better UX then you have to help by providing the information about what it is that caused your experience to go wrong.

I am not going to debate UI philosophy here, you are entitled to your opinion. You are even entitled to be hostile in voicing your opinion. But I do ask that you think twice before you continue to tell the people who have volunteered many hours of their time so that you can have an incredible tool free of charge that they are failures.

1 Like