[JS Scripting] All scripts stop working when upgrading to 3.4.0.M4

Reading through thread - was root cause found? I also have this with M4:

2022-11-13 11:04:57.282 [ERROR] [.internal.OpenhabGraalJSScriptEngine] - Could not inject global script
javax.script.ScriptException: org.graalvm.polyglot.PolyglotException: SyntaxError: arraycopy: last destination index 45 out of bounds for byte[44]
        at com.oracle.truffle.js.scriptengine.GraalJSScriptEngine.toScriptException(GraalJSScriptEngine.java:503) ~[?:?]
        at com.oracle.truffle.js.scriptengine.GraalJSScriptEngine.eval(GraalJSScriptEngine.java:480) ~[?:?]
        at com.oracle.truffle.js.scriptengine.GraalJSScriptEngine.eval(GraalJSScriptEngine.java:446) ~[?:?]
        at javax.script.AbstractScriptEngine.eval(AbstractScriptEngine.java:264) ~[java.scripting:?]
        at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.scriptengine.DelegatingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutocloseable.eval(DelegatingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutocloseable.java:54) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.scriptengine.InvocationInterceptingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutoCloseable.eval(InvocationInterceptingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutoCloseable.java:69) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.OpenhabGraalJSScriptEngine.beforeInvocation(OpenhabGraalJSScriptEngine.java:218) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.scriptengine.InvocationInterceptingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutoCloseable.eval(InvocationInterceptingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutoCloseable.java:78) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.scriptengine.DelegatingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutocloseable.eval(DelegatingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutocloseable.java:59) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.scriptengine.InvocationInterceptingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutoCloseable.eval(InvocationInterceptingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutoCloseable.java:79) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.internal.ScriptEngineManagerImpl.loadScript(ScriptEngineManagerImpl.java:189) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.rulesupport.loader.ScriptFileWatcher.createAndLoad(ScriptFileWatcher.java:251) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.fs.watch.JSScriptFileWatcher.createAndLoad(JSScriptFileWatcher.java:57) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.rulesupport.loader.ScriptFileWatcher.importFile(ScriptFileWatcher.java:231) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.rulesupport.loader.ScriptFileWatcher.lambda$2(ScriptFileWatcher.java:223) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.Optional.ifPresent(Optional.java:183) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.rulesupport.loader.ScriptFileWatcher.importFileWhenReady(ScriptFileWatcher.java:221) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.rulesupport.loader.ScriptFileWatcher.importResources(ScriptFileWatcher.java:168) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.rulesupport.loader.ScriptFileWatcher.importInitialResources(ScriptFileWatcher.java:142) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.rulesupport.loader.ScriptFileWatcher.lambda$6(ScriptFileWatcher.java:305) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:304) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829) [?:?]

I have only two scripts since I havenā€™t yet migrated to JS:

openhabian@openhabian:/etc/openhab $ cat automation/js/test.js

rules.JSRule({
  name: "Reproduce jsscripting issue",
  description: "Reproduce jsscripting issue",
  triggers: [triggers.ItemStateChangeTrigger('Test2', 'OFF', 'ON')],
  execute: data => {
    console.log("Test item triggered: 2");
  }
});

openhabian@openhabian:/etc/openhab $ cat automation/js/danfoss.js

var notification = require('notification.js');

function getRoomHumidityText(itemName)
{
    let item = items.getItem(itemName);
    let recentHumidity = item.history.historicState(time.ZonedDateTime.now().minusMinutes(22));
    let currentHumidity = item.state;
    let humidityDelta = item.rawState.doubleValue() - recentHumidity.doubleValue();
    let deltaString = "";

if (humidityDelta < 0)
    {
        deltaString = ` (${humidityDelta.toFixed(1)} %)`;
    }
    else if (HumidityDelta > 0)
    {
        deltaString = ` (+${humidityDelta.toFixed(1)} %)`;
    }

return `${currentHumidity}${deltaString}`;
}

rules.JSRule({
  name: "Danfoss boost new",
  description: "Push notification when boost is triggered on Danfoss Air",
  triggers: [triggers.ItemStateChangeTrigger('Test', 'OFF', 'ON')],
  execute: data => {
    console.log(body);
  }
});

openhabian@openhabian:/etc/openhab $ cat automation/js/node_modules/notification.js

exports.send = function(title, body) {
        var action = actions.thingActions('pushover', 'pushover:pushover-account:account');
        action.sendMessage(body, title);
}

Unfortunately, no. Most people that could debug are not able to reproduce this, so there is no real chance to fix this issue.

Could you please provide me some platform details?
Please also the Java version!

Raspberry Pi 3:

openhabian@openhabian:/etc/openhab $ uname -a
Linux openhabian 5.15.76-v7+ #1597 SMP Fri Nov 4 12:13:17 GMT 2022 armv7l GNU/Linux

And the Java version? (java --version)

openhabian@openhabian:/etc/openhab $ java --version
openjdk 11.0.16 2022-07-19
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.16+8-post-Raspbian-1deb11u1)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 11.0.16+8-post-Raspbian-1deb11u1, mixed mode)

Can you try switching to

which seems to have solved the issue? It could be a bug in the JDK.

1 Like

Thanks! I think Iā€™ll wait a bit to not mess too much with my production system right now:

openhabian@openhabian:~ $ sudo apt-get --only-upgrade install openjdk-11-jdk
[sudo] password for openhabian:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
openjdk-11-jdk is already the newest version (11.0.16+8-1~deb11u1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

Cc @mstormi

what do you want to tell ? Itā€™s Raspi OS / Debian to declare an openjdk package to be latest in ā€œreleaseā€ or not, so if you want anything newer from testing or unstable repo you need to explicitly tell it on install.

1 Like

I tagged you for two purposes.

1. Possibly getting some knowledge from you about the upgrade process, which I got - thanks. When a new version is released upstream, how fast will it usually propagate downstream and become available in openHABian?

2. To share this issue with you as a heads-up. If it will be confirmed that 11.0.17 resolves the issue, we can hope that it will make it into the distribution in time for 3.4, or alternatively we would somehow need to work around this issue in 11.0.16, as otherwise openHABian users cannot use jsscripting - at least to my understanding.

What would be a safe route (if any) for replacing the openjdk package in openHABian with a newer version without breaking dependencies etc. and messing everything up? With the plan to then revert the upgrade after testing, and go back to default openHABian packages like before.

Thatā€™s beyond my control unless I explicitly rework things to forcefully install that version.

That in the first place would mean everyone to upgrade 3.4 has to upgrade his java before. The number of OH starters will be marginal compared to that huge number of people affected.
And it wouldnā€™t only affect openHABian users so we would have to come up with a solution for all others, too.
So if that really was the case Iā€™d rather propose to revert the recent change that made new java become a need, whatever it was.

Some news from my side, I just remembered that I had some Raspberry Pi 3B with openHABian installed at home, but it was not used.
So I started it, did a fresh openHAB 3.4.0.M4 install, and I can reproduce the issue.

That means: I can try to find the root cause and fix it!

7 Likes

Good news: I think that I have fixed the problem.
JS Scripting is now working on my Pi without any problems.
Could any one you please verify that it is working now on your system? @laursen?

The fix PR is now open: [jsscripting] Fix failure on some platforms & JDKs by florian-h05 Ā· Pull Request #13714 Ā· openhab/openhab-addons Ā· GitHub.

Follow these steps to try it yourself:

1. Uninstall the JS Scripting add-on
  2. Download the artifact from here: !Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
  3. Place it to the /srv/openhab-addons folder
  4. (Wait a little bit, as the installation takes some time)
  5. (openHAB probably requires a restart)
  6. Try whether your JS scripts are working now
3 Likes

After installation of original java version I need to clean tmp and cache! First trial of the installation it seems that there was a crash while installing, but after a reboot it looks better and for now the problems seems to be gone (long term test pending ;)).

Thx!

Br,
Stefan

1 Like

Iā€™m on docker. Followed the above steps. Java seems to work. I did get hit by the timer issue, so cannot test long time.

But the JS scripts work now?

With timer issue you mean the Multi-thread access requested but now allowed exception, right? FYI: I am also working on fixing this.

Yes, JS works. Triggered a lot of stuff to test. Everything worked as expected. Yes. I mean that issue. I saw you are working hard on it. Thanks for your hard work!

2 Likes

Update: The fix for this bug has been merged.

5 Likes

Thanks. Does it mean users (or us on behalf of theirs) donā€™t have to change anything about the java installation ?

Correct. It is now working on the default openHABian Java, so there is no Java change or update required.
I am now planning to upgrade the GraalJS version when openHAB makes the switch to Java 17 LTS.

1 Like

Iā€™ve also been experiencing this issue since upgrading to 3.4.0.M5 on my Windows box. See log below. I had a previous version of JDK (I think it was 11.0.09) when the problem first occurred. I updated my Java to 11.0.17 but that doesnā€™t seem to have fixed the problem. I read on Github that this issue is believed to be related to armv7l and OpenJDK 11.0.16, so Iā€™m posting my experience here since Iā€™m using 11.0.17. It happens only intermittently.

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3450 @ 1.10GHz 1.10 GHz
8.00 GB (7.79 GB usable)
Windows 10 Pro
openjdk version ā€œ11.0.17ā€ 2022-10-18 LTS
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu11.60+19-CA (build 11.0.17+8-LTS)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Zulu11.60+19-CA (build 11.0.17+8-LTS, mixed mode)
OpenHAB 3.4.0.M5

2022-12-21 23:59:08.297 [ERROR] [.internal.OpenhabGraalJSScriptEngine] - Could not inject global script
javax.script.ScriptException: org.graalvm.polyglot.PolyglotException: Java heap space
	at com.oracle.truffle.js.scriptengine.GraalJSScriptEngine.toScriptException(GraalJSScriptEngine.java:483) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at com.oracle.truffle.js.scriptengine.GraalJSScriptEngine.eval(GraalJSScriptEngine.java:460) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at com.oracle.truffle.js.scriptengine.GraalJSScriptEngine.eval(GraalJSScriptEngine.java:426) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at javax.script.AbstractScriptEngine.eval(AbstractScriptEngine.java:264) ~[java.scripting:?]
	at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.scriptengine.DelegatingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutocloseable.eval(DelegatingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutocloseable.java:54) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.scriptengine.InvocationInterceptingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutoCloseable.eval(InvocationInterceptingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutoCloseable.java:69) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.OpenhabGraalJSScriptEngine.beforeInvocation(OpenhabGraalJSScriptEngine.java:222) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.scriptengine.InvocationInterceptingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutoCloseable.eval(InvocationInterceptingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutoCloseable.java:68) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.scriptengine.DelegatingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutocloseable.eval(DelegatingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutocloseable.java:54) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.scriptengine.InvocationInterceptingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutoCloseable.eval(InvocationInterceptingScriptEngineWithInvocableAndAutoCloseable.java:69) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.internal.handler.ScriptActionHandler.lambda$0(ScriptActionHandler.java:58) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.Optional.ifPresent(Optional.java:183) [?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.internal.handler.ScriptActionHandler.execute(ScriptActionHandler.java:55) [bundleFile:?]
	at org.openhab.core.automation.internal.RuleEngineImpl.executeActions(RuleEngineImpl.java:1177) [bundleFile:?]
	at org.openhab.core.automation.internal.RuleEngineImpl.runRule(RuleEngineImpl.java:989) [bundleFile:?]
	at org.openhab.core.automation.internal.TriggerHandlerCallbackImpl$TriggerData.run(TriggerHandlerCallbackImpl.java:89) [bundleFile:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:304) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]
Caused by: org.graalvm.polyglot.PolyglotException: Java heap space
	at com.oracle.truffle.polyglot.PolyglotMapAndFunction.apply(PolyglotMapAndFunction.java:46) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.OpenhabGraalJSScriptEngine.lambda$7(OpenhabGraalJSScriptEngine.java:209) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.OpenhabGraalJSScriptEngine$$Lambda$1640/0x000000010148dc40.get(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.Optional.orElseGet(Optional.java:369) ~[?:?]
	at <js>.:program(<eval>:1) ~[?:?]
2022-12-21 23:59:08.313 [ERROR] [b.automation.script.javascript.stack] - Failed to execute script:
org.graalvm.polyglot.PolyglotException: ReferenceError: "rules" is not defined
	at <js>.:program(<eval>:1) ~[?:?]
	at org.graalvm.polyglot.Context.eval(Context.java:399) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at com.oracle.truffle.js.scriptengine.GraalJSScriptEngine.eval(GraalJSScriptEngine.java:458) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at com.oracle.truffle.js.scriptengine.GraalJSScriptEngine.eval(GraalJSScriptEngine.java:426) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.internal.handler.ScriptActionHandler.lambda$0(ScriptActionHandler.java:58) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.Optional.ifPresent(Optional.java:183) [?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.internal.handler.ScriptActionHandler.execute(ScriptActionHandler.java:55) [bundleFile:?]
	at org.openhab.core.automation.internal.RuleEngineImpl.executeActions(RuleEngineImpl.java:1177) [bundleFile:?]
	at org.openhab.core.automation.internal.RuleEngineImpl.runRule(RuleEngineImpl.java:989) [bundleFile:?]
	at org.openhab.core.automation.internal.TriggerHandlerCallbackImpl$TriggerData.run(TriggerHandlerCallbackImpl.java:89) [bundleFile:?]
2022-12-21 23:59:08.313 [ERROR] [internal.handler.ScriptActionHandler] - Script execution of rule with UID 'Goodnight' failed: org.graalvm.polyglot.PolyglotException: ReferenceError: "rules" is not defined

This occurred when I used rules.runRule in my ā€œGoodnightā€ rule.

configuration: {}
triggers:
  - id: "1"
    configuration:
      time: 23:59
    type: timer.TimeOfDayTrigger
conditions: []
actions:
  - inputs: {}
    id: "2"
    configuration:
      considerConditions: false
      ruleUIDs:
        - AllLightsOff
    type: core.RunRuleAction
  - inputs: {}
    id: "3"
    configuration:
      type: application/javascript;version=ECMAScript-2021
      script: |-
        rules.runRule("LockDoor", {'door': 'Back'});
        rules.runRule("LockDoor", {'door': 'Front'});
    type: script.ScriptAction```

Perhaps not unrelatedly, my Windows box is often very sluggish in responding since I have upgraded to 3.4.0.M5. It used to be quite snappy. I havenā€™t fully diagnosed why, but I have noticed that Java seems to be sporadically using a monster amount of CPU and memory, which seems like a likely culprit. This morning, after the error occurring at midnight before, it was quite sluggish: