JSONPATH returning wrong type for thing with channel Type "dimmer"

Hi there! I’m on openHAB 2.5.1. There’s something i need to understand and I wonder if someone is willing to explain what I’m doing wrong.

On my MQTT bridge thing, I’m defining an OH Item with the channel type dimmer

/////////////////////////////////////////
    // ZMNHDA2 Flush Dimmer (Qubino (Goap) //
    /////////////////////////////////////////
    Thing topic Rum3_Takbelysning "Z-Wave Node 005: ZMNHDA2 Flush Dimmer (Qubino (Goap)" @ "Rum 3" {
    Channels:
        Type dimmer : Dimlevel      "Level (38-1-0)"              [ stateTopic="zwave/rum-3/takbelysning/level", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.value", commandTopic="zwave/rum-3/takbelysning/level/set", min=3, max=100, step=1 ]
        Type switch : SensorBinary1 "Instance 1: Sensor (48-1-0)" [ stateTopic="zwave/rum-3/takbelysning/sensor_binary1", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.value∩MAP:bool2onoff.map"]
        Type switch : SensorBinary2 "Instance 2: Sensor (48-1-0)" [ stateTopic="zwave/rum-3/takbelysning/sensor_binary2", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.value∩MAP:bool2onoff.map"]
    }

When I save the things file I get the error message:

Command '0' not supported by type 'PercentageValue': Value must be between 0 and 100

If I change the channel type to number, the error won’t show.

It feels that JSONPATH is returning a string value for a dimmer type channel.

My Json data looks like this:

zwave/rum-3/takbelysning/level {"time":1583054505111,"value":0}

I have tried to chain the transformation like:

Type dimmer : Dimlevel      "Level (38-1-0)"              [ stateTopic="zwave/rum-3/takbelysning/level", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.value∩JS:parseInt.js", commandTopic="zwave/rum-3/takbelysning/level/set", min=3, max=100, step=1 ]

That doesn’t help though … same error message.

parseInt.js:

(function(b) {
    return parseInt(b);
})(input)

Any ideas? :blush:

Auto discover Things through HABmin UI using the Z-Wave binding? That is what I do and is the recommended practice for Z-Wave Things.

There is an issue when saving the things file. I have to rename the thing prior to saving the file to make OH recognize the changes. That made me think that I had solved the problem but I had not. I still don’t have a working solution.

Anyway, I’m really interested to learn what I’m doing wrong. (I’m aware of the Z-Wave binding, this is actually not a specific Z-wave question but MQTT) :grinning:

That’s what all the transformations do. It’s up to the binding if it needs to parse the string into something else - like a number for a Dimmer channel.

I’d guess it’s a binding limitation, perhaps interacting with the min/max/step parameters.

Thanks! Good to know.

I thought I had tried to remove the min/max/step parameters. Maybe I did but I didn’t rename the thing so the code change made no effect. Now when I tried it seems to work, e.g. I get no error message when saving the file which feels good. :grinning:

Working:

Type dimmer : Dimlevel      "Level (38-1-0)"              [ stateTopic="zwave/rum-3/takbelysning/level", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.value", commandTopic="zwave/rum-3/takbelysning/level/set" ]

NOT Working:

Type dimmer : Dimlevel      "Level (38-1-0)"              [ stateTopic="zwave/rum-3/takbelysning/level", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.value", commandTopic="zwave/rum-3/takbelysning/level/set", min=3, max=100, step=1 ]

An observation that many bindings do not pick up edits to Things in-flight very reliably. (“Changing the name” creates a new Thing.)
Rather than restart openHAB to force a Thing reconstruction, you can restart just the binding in question.

One the difficulties with the multiple transformation options for MQTT channels - which includes the on=/off= min=/max= etc. options - is that it’s not really clear what order they get applied in. Particularly when, as with min=/max=. they apply to both in and outbound payloads. Does it do JSON and then min/max going out? How about coming in?

I think with your clear example you should raise a github bug.
I suspect it may be an inherent limitation mixing general transforms and the “baked in” min/max etc. that cannot be resolved. In which case it should be documented.

The actual problems can always be resolved with a multi-function javascript transform (where you can do all the JSON, scaling, etc. you want in one transform)

Hi RRoe, thanks for the post and sorry for reviving it, but I’m getting the same error for months. It hasn’t affected stability of the system and everything seems to work but I wanted to understand it better.

As an aside, this warning is only coming when the lights are turned off. To turn them off I use the switch.sendCommand(OFF) syntax in rules and don’t use the dimmer channel to turn lights off.

You mentioned that removing the min/max/step parameters removed the warning message, but aren’t these parameters necessary to correctly interpret/set the dim value on the device? For example most zigbee bulbs expect a value between 0 and 255, so in my case the thing is defined as

Thing topic L_Hall1 @ "Wohnung" {
        Channels:
            Type switch : onoff "Birne Flur 1" [stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/L_Hall1", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.state", commandTopic="zigbee2mqtt/L_Hall1/set", transformationPatternOut="JS:setLampState.js"]
            Type dimmer : dim "Helligkeit Flur 1" [stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/L_Hall1", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.brightness", commandTopic="zigbee2mqtt/L_Hall1/set", min=0, max=254, step=1, formatBeforePublish="{ \"brightness\" : %s }"]
    }