JSR223 / using other scripting languages for rules in OH2

I was wondering about the status of using scripting languages other than Xtend for writing rules in OH2. The JSR223 wiki page states

Currently this scriptengine cannot be used in OpenHAB2. A new smarthome compatible functionality is in development. Scripts from this engine can be used in the new addon without significant changes. A compatibility layer will be provided.

I noticed from some PRs on the ESH repo and some forum posts that it seems OH2 has an entirely new rule engine which may support JSON definitions of rules and the use of other scripting languages. Is this in the beta release and is there any documentation about it?

What is the correct way to write rules for OH2 using javascript? If I use JSR223 on OH1 will my rules be compatible when I decide to switch to OH2?

No, as you have noticed, the PRs aren’t yet processed (still on my to-do list, which is looong…), so this is not available in OH2 yet. For the moment, the only rules available are the traditional Xbase rules.

If I use JSR223 on OH1 will my rules be compatible when I decide to switch to OH2?

We will see once it is implemented. I think @smerschjo tries hard to keep it at least very similar.

Is there any news? I will move to OH2 if I can replace the XBase rules. I personally don’t like Xbase.

Some progress, see https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1073582/

I checked the link but there is nothing new.
Any news on JSR223 (or jython) for OH2?