JVM Crash

Hi,

recently, when adding points from things to semantic model, my JVM crashes. This is an example log of such a crash: hs_err_pid22071.log (104.7 KB)

As this is most probably not an openhab but an OpenJDK issue, I should probably change JVM vendor. Can you recommend alternatives?

Mind the posting rules please. Minimum would have been to mention what you are using.

How to ask a good question / Help Us Help You - Tutorials & Examples - openHAB Community

They are described in the prerequisites: Installation Overview - prerequisites | openHAB

1 Like

Platform information:

Hardware: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Rev 1.1
openHABian: openHAB3 Branch
Java Runtime Environment:
openjdk version “11.0.11” 2021-04-20
OpenJDK Runtime Environment AdoptOpenJDK-11.0.11+9 (build 11.0.11+9)
OpenJDK Server VM AdoptOpenJDK-11.0.11+9 (build 11.0.11+9, mixed mod
openHAB version: openHAB 3.1.0

Just tried with AdoptOpenJDK, same symptoms: hs_err_pid15221.log (105.5 KB)

This was just one bugfix version older than my initial jvm, so no wonder. Will try another implementation.

Next try, OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu11.50+19-CA (11.0.12+7), crashes also, but with a different frame message: hs_err_pid21957.log (109.2 KB)

I’m slowly running out of JVM implementations… The last bigger change to my system was adding the ipcamera binding. Will delete it and try again. Although I don’t have much hope that this is the root cause.

org.openhab.persistence.rrd4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService.getDB is in the stack trace before the crash occurs.

Deleting the rrd4j persistence altogether seems to fix it. Fortunately I don’t use rrd4j anyway, so this should work for me.

There has been a problem with RRD4J persistence
<wrong> in combination with ZRAM</wrong> (EDIT: According to the GitHub issue, this is not related with ZRAM). In very rare occasions one of the rrd files got corrupted resulting in java crashes:

But that’s just a wild guess. But you can compare your logs with the ones from the issues.
However, even if there’s still a bug open, it didn’t happen to me for quite some time and i’m using rrd4j with ZRAM enabled.

Does not sound wild at all to me, thanks for pointing that out. Pretty sure it’s the same issue. For me it happened when creating enough items at the same time. Creating just one item was fine.