Thanks for not giving up:
I cleared all the cache as described there but unfortunately the problem stays…
and I went on investigating:
What stroke me in the exception is that it tries to read the “DefaultHistory”. When I looked into the source of org.jline.reader.impl.history.DefaultHistory on github I got the feeling it tries to read the karaf history file but unfortunately I couldn’t directly find it until I finally got so desperate that I just searched the whole disc for “1517090219544” and I found the file. It is in the “hidden” directory “.karaf” (/var/lib/openhab2/.karaf) and is called “karaf41.history”.
I then looked into the file and it seems to be the history of the console and looks similar to this (“excerpt”)
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@1517090219544:smarthome things list | more
1517090229723:smarthome things list
What is weird is actually the line that is “1517090219544” as it starts with ^@^@^@^…and it looks like this is some garbage that happened during a crash of the system…at least this does not belong there!
I fired up the editor, deleted all these crazy characters, saved the file and bingo, the console works again!
a good time to go to sleep now