Karaf.Feature issues after update to 2.3


I had an Openhab 2.2 installation running on a Pi3 - this run for quite some time.
After the upgrade to 2.3 the dashboard is down (including everything else). So I can’t reach any of the Openhab related services; Grafana for example is working.

The log wasn’t written for a long time but via navigating though several posts I was able to get ‘something’ back - and thats where I’m stuck currently.

So the log shows just this:

2018-05-29 22:24:02.272 [WARN ] [raf.features.internal.osgi.Activator] - Error starting activator
java.io.IOException: Unexpected end of input at 1:1
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.util.JsonReader.error(JsonReader.java:337) [10:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.1.5]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.util.JsonReader.expected(JsonReader.java:331) [10:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.1.5]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.util.JsonReader.readValue(JsonReader.java:93) [10:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.1.5]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.util.JsonReader.parse(JsonReader.java:58) [10:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.1.5]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.util.JsonReader.read(JsonReader.java:52) [10:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.1.5]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.region.DigraphHelper.readDigraph(DigraphHelper.java:90) [10:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.1.5]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.region.DigraphHelper.loadDigraph(DigraphHelper.java:70) [10:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.1.5]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.osgi.Activator.doStart(Activator.java:131) [10:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.1.5]
	at org.apache.karaf.util.tracker.BaseActivator.run(BaseActivator.java:242) [10:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.1.5]
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]

Although its just a warning its the only thing that points to an issue

openhab-cli info provides this:

Version:     2.3.0 (Build)
User:        openhab (Active Process 450)
User Groups: openhab tty dialout audio bluetooth gpio

Directories: Folder Name      | Path                        | User:Group
             -----------      | ----                        | ----------
             OPENHAB_HOME     | /usr/share/openhab2         | openhab:openhab
             OPENHAB_RUNTIME  | /usr/share/openhab2/runtime | openhab:openhab
             OPENHAB_USERDATA | /var/lib/openhab2           | openhab:openhabian
             OPENHAB_CONF     | /etc/openhab2               | openhab:openhabian
             OPENHAB_LOGDIR   | /var/log/openhab2           | openhab:openhabian

I have no idea where to start looking currently. I ran the manual installer several times but without success.
As mentioned none of the URLs is reachable - although the service is running.

Any ideas

I will take a wild guess and say that your jsondb files are corrupted (I hope not)
check /var/lib/openhab2/jsondb/ (and backup subfolder) and try to play around with them to see if things improve.

If my guess is true: you need to backup all of your configs and check for file-system health.


so checked the json file within the jsondb folder - but found at least no formatting or EoF issue. Syntax via Notepad++ and Samba checked, later on stored with Nano.

Then I restored a backup (of those files) from last week - but also no change/ success.

I also cleared the cache multiple times by now, forgot to mention this yesterday. But no change. Dashboard and anything related stays dead, Grafana is ok (so its related to OH)