KNX - what IP interface

Guys,

I’ve been playing around with OpenHAB for quite some time now. Integrating Philips HUE, IKEA Trådfri, Exec Binding, http binding, rules, etc.etc.etc. and I’ve concluded that I would like take the next step and integrate my KNX installation to OpenHAB. Apart from not wanting to go down the knxd path, I am a bit unsure what hardware to select.

Any input is appreciated.

My questions

1. I only have one knx line (hence, the physical address of my devices is all within 1.1.2 to 1.1.70 range). From what I think I understand, there is really no need for a KNX/IP router when you only have one line, so an IP interface would be sufficient. Right?

2. Although, I like the idea of multicast communications, I don’t want to pay the extra money for an IP Router if there is no real reason to do so. Would you consider multicast support to be a valid argument for buying an IP Router over an IP interface?

3. I’ve been looking at a product named EIB KNX IP Interface PoE from EIBMarkt. Do anyone of you have any experience with this product? It seems easy to install and the PoE functionality is interesting.

4. Anything else I should be aware of when selecting hardware to integrate my knx installation with OpenHAB?

Thanks

Choose an IP Router, not an IP Interface. Routing is much more reliable according to my experience. I use the „Enertex KNXNet/IP Router“.

Thanks Jan. Reliability is of cause of great concern. Is it the Enertex 1147 you are using? If so, are you using PoE or external power supply? …and have you experienced any issues with the router?

Exactly. I am using POE, that’s easy. No issues since a year or so.