Landscape Lighting - Multi-Zones

How about a 4 channel relais or 4 wlan / zigbee plugs

1 Like

Is that a complete DIY ?

Living in the Chicago area, with rain/snow and cold, I’d rather do a commercial/robust solution for outdoors usage, with the proper protection level e.g., IP57 or else.

Almost certainly doesn’t exist, and doesn’t need to. Think more along modular lines of multiple independent switches. Either switching individual small power supplies on and off, or switching the output of one fat supply.

Okay, but for the purposes of this discussion - you will end up with separate cable ends at your central power position for each zone?

Well … I bought one recently from Menards, it’s ‘half-smart’. In a sense, it has pre-programmed on-off times based on geographic location / time-zone.

Few ‘smart’ ones pop up after a Google Search … but again, not sure what every different vendor means by Smart/WIFI.

Now, it seems the simplest way now is to do multiple transformers, one for each zone … clunky but would work.

Of course, separate zones would need to have their own cables … this is understood. I was merely describing my current setup.

Now, if one is brave enough, one could rewire the whole area with smart/adressable LEDs (4 wires throughout) … the technology is not there yet?

In fact, take a look at this … it’s the one I referenced in my second post. It has connections for what I call multi-zone

So, no one has input on smart transformers? Hard to believe that such devices are NOT YET part of the Smart Home collection. Should we start our own line of products?

Here is a link I found on cnet … it’s however 2 years old.

I’m not sure what you expect, the task is easily done with an un-smart supply and the commodity smart switch of your choice from a range of a dozen different technologies.

I’d expect manufacturers to be keener on supplying individually smart fittings/bulbs.

If that is your answer … then possibly I have not described the problem properly/sufficiently.

In my my current system, the transformer is plugged into an outdoors GFCI Outlet, and the transformer has a built in mechanical timer. As such, here are the difficulties with what you propose:

1. Putting a smart switch before the transformer is not an option as it would mess up the mechanical timer.

2. I do not recall seeing smart switches for outdoor usage (i.e., waterproof + GFCI) … Most I’ve seen were those used for Christmas lights, but those typically do not last beyond 1-2 seasons.

3. If you’re thinking a smart switch on the 12V side … I haven’t seen any of those yet, or at least none that are easy-to-use. As I mentioned before, I can do DIY but I’d rather have an installation that is compatible with existing building codes … etc

A fixed (mechanical) timer is not a good idea these days especially that the day duration changes from Summer to Winter … As such, a smart timer that would adjust based on either the seasons, your geographic location, or even a light sensor (dawn/dusk) would be best. There are already some of such options (system from Menards, I posted above) … but those are NOT multi-zone, and not as smart as advertised …

Need I go on?

Oh, and let’s try not to dumb-down what the OP is asking … :wink: … I’ve done a bit of homework before asking the various questions, and my specific situation might be a ‘tad’ different that what you’re used to … Yes, maybe I’m doing an overkill, but still, for me it’s a very valid situation, and I’m sure many people would appreciate having a single ‘smart’ system able to control multiple lighting areas … (front yard, back yard, garden, walk path, …) and lastly have some smart built-in features, iphone app or else
… wouldn’t you agree?

Do you have examples? Are those suitable for outdoor use? … I’m in Chicago where we sometimes get extreme weather … and up to 3 ft (1 m) of snow.

I think it all depends on the housing.

If you take something like this

[Wifi Relais ](€ 0,72 | ESP8266 5V WiFi relais modul LED Controller Dinge smart home fernbedienung schalter telefon APP ESP-01S https://a.aliexpress.com/_BTSJWf)

and put it in here

Ip66 Outdoor junction box

it would be very cheap and worth to try.

If you looking for 24v as well, I used this box for my diy garden irrigation control

image image

So far no problem with rain.

I’ve no idea what GFCI is.

Okay. I’d assumed there would be no need of any mechanical timer since you are replacing it with ‘smarts’

Me neither. Sounds like that narrows the field considerably.

Most folk just pop everything in a weatherproof box. But see -

As discussed already, many mains powered types would need a small modification to isolate relay terminals. Some are isolated out of the box.

Maybe we’re at cross purposes here. In a typical openHAB system these functions are performed at the central host; the ‘smart switch’ here is really just a remote control relay under centralized smart control.

This is an openHAB forum so that’s naturally at the heart of the suggestions you’re getting.
If you’re wanting something monolithic you might get more joy in a landscapers or serious gardener’s forum?

Useful feedback as always. I guess my approach is a bit different than most on this forum.

My thinking is ‘get it to work in standalone first, by itself … then, if everything checks-out, link it to Openhab’ … What you’re describing, is to build a system that works with openhab from the start. This is all good, but what if Openhab crashes or my network goes down one day for some unforeseen reason? I would hope that the system kicks in on its own and still operates.

Maybe I’m asking for too much already … good idea to go to a landscapers forum, though, from my experience with those … the first question is free, then after that everyone starts to sell you whatever it is they have.

GFCI - Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter - is a type of outlet here in NA (US, Canada, Mexico), that is most often used in wet locations (bathrooms and outdoors). Just in case the ground line is not working, the outlet cuts itself out to protect the owner. I’m sure they’re available in other regions of the world, though maybe with a different name.

Protection device = RCD in Euro speak. Doesn’t really matter here as it’s part of the supply to your hoped-for box.

For a fully autonomous box, you’re not interested in openHAB solutions, that’s fine.
(An indoorsy solution to this kind of task like auto lighting, would generally centre around a PLC, possibly with additional relays, sensors etc.)

As you are concerned about network outages - beware. The vast majority of “smart” devices sold with “iPhone app! Set up timers! Link to Alexa!” etc. features are reliant on a manufacturers cloud service, which requires an internet connection, never mind a local network.

Quite a few people come to openhAB purposely for local control and no cloud dependence.

Not to beat this to death but I beg to differ with a couple of your statements, even though they are way outside the topic of this thread. Not everyone comes here for local control … many come on here because they buy ‘smart’ devices, and then they (we) want to get more from them, then upgrade to openHab … not all of us are into DIY solutions that may or may not be compliant. You need to understand one thing that is VERY true in the US. Many people refrain from doing DIY solutions when it comes to electrical power because, should there be an issue and a fire gets started, then the whole house burns down (most houses are made of wood/lumber), most likely the Insurance company will NOT cover you. We simply have a set of different boundary conditions … and have to operate within those limits.

That’s fine. Buy basic approved modules - that’s UA marked for you? - screw them into a weatherproof box and interwire with no more complexity or hazard than you are already exposed to by wiring your light fixtures up.

But yes, I understand that’s not what you want.

yeah, ok … whatever floats your boat as they say.

If you search for color changing landscape lighting you’ll find some systems where the lights can be individually addressed. Some of those may fit your requirements.

I looked at this system a while back. It sounded interesting, but I have no experience with it, and I don’t know if they have a local API.

Actually, after poking around a bit, it appears that they do have a local API. It’s not documented, but there is a go library available here that makes it look simple enough:

Thank you BobA … gotta love the positive contributions :slight_smile:

Yes FX Luxor seems to be one of the only transformers out there capable to do multi zoning. Although you will need to buy FX Luxor WiFi cubes to operate each zone. Your lights alone are not compatible with the FX transformer. FX lighting is nice but is fairly expensive. I too am looking at zoning my backyard and front yard so they can be operated manually in 8-9 zones separately. Good luck with your project.