Led Strips Controlled with OpenHAB2

Cool. I have experience to do that sort of thing, just was not sure if this devices was ESP based.
Thanks!

I bought a couple of these kits and would like to make them work with OH2. Do I just need to get some sort of transceiver?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-196-8-in-Plug-in-Under-cabinet-LED-strip-light/1000681205

Thanks,

Todd

It would have been better to buy the sets with wi-fi capability. They are usually advertised with being able to be controlled with a smart phone app.
A key word to include in a google search would be LD686 (the controller).
You can easily control these from openHAB using this binding.

Thanks, Tom.
In doing some more research, I discovered these are analog strips. I bought them at Loweā€™s (it was a kit with a remote control). I wasnā€™t thinking about OH controlling them until after the fact. I was also looking at soldering wires to the 5 leads on the strip so that I could wire it to something, if needed.

I picked up the following kit thinking I would be able to link it to OH. I think I goofed. The module works well, but Iā€™m trying to find a way to link it to OH. My router sees the module, but OH doesnā€™t appear to see it.

If it turns out nothing else can be done and it works with IFTTT and you donā€™t mind a bit of integration you could allow a dummy variable through for IFTTT to turn off / on in OH and run rules from there.

That set up may well work.

Have you completed the following steps:

Set up the wifi on the ā€˜Magic Homeā€™ smart phone app?
Installed the openHAB wifi-LED binding?
Using PaperUI, searched for things using the Wifi-LED binding?

Hi Tom,

I havenā€™t used the wifi-LED binding. I didnā€™t realize it was compatible. I did set up the Magic Home app and it works fine. Iā€™ll try the binding tonight.

Thanks!!!

Hi Tom,

I tried your idea and it worked beautifully! Even my wife was impressed. :wink:

Thank you very much.

Todd :smile: :smile: :smile:

1 Like

Just one thing. There was a bug with the binding and that meant that when you restarted openHAB, it would not retain the wifi-LED thing settings but would give them arbitrary values so things would not work.

If you find this happening, delete the things from PaperUI and create the things file manually. Things files go in the Things configuration folder.

Example Thing file for a wifi LED controller:

Thing wifiled:wifiled:60019495672B "LED_CONT_LIB" @ "LIBRARY" [ ip="192.168.1.63", port=5577, pollingPeriod=30, protocol="LD686", driver="FADING", fadeDurationInMs=10, fadeSteps=1 ]

Thanks, again, Tom.
I like to use the configuration files because itā€™s easier for me to manage everything, so I already have them in things/items files. I do the same thing in Linux.

Although, taking a closer look at your Thing entry, I donā€™t think mine looks like yours. Iā€™ll have to take a look at that.