Lights randomly flickering using DMX binding and OLA

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
    • Java Runtime Environment: openjdk version “1.8.0_152”
    • openHAB version: openHAB 2.4.0 Release Build
  • Issue of the topic: Lights randomly flickering using DMX binding and OLA
    I am using a Anonyma USB device that connects physically to various DMX drivers in my house. If I use OLA I can turn my dimmeable lights on and off just fine directly in without any issues - as long as I disable any input (either ArtNet or sACN/E1.31).

However when I enable any of these inputs, and have them set up in openHab - random flickering will happen. I have set up my house using sACN/E1.31, and this random flickering has been an issue from the beginning. That said it got a lot worse after a recent SW update. It now happens on average about once a minute. The flicker happens when the lights are on and they will turn off for just a fraction of a second and then turn back on again. It will only happen for a group of lights at a time (not all the lights that are turned on).

Following this i tried using Artnet instead of sACN/E1.31 (eg switched the bridge for the dimmers in openHAB from sACN/E1.31 to Artnet and changed input in OLA) and the flickering started appearing a lot more often (instead of perhaps once a minute - it happened constantly, perhaps once a second when I used Artnet instead).

I have tried playing around with priority settings (in the case of sACN/E1.31) in OLA with no luck and I have had a look through the various logs in openHAB without anything obvious things standing out to me.

Not sure what more information would be helpful, but I’ll be happy to share more specifics on the setup if needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Espen

I haven’t used OLA before but I did recently make an sACN module for MQTTany to control LED strip. My guess from what you described is that OLA is not repeating the last data it got and the next packet is delayed. The device I was testing with would maintain the display of the last data it got indefinitely.