Linear LB6Z-01 does not respond to sendCommand

I have a couple of these that I control switches in my sitemap and via rules invoked by tapping buttons on a WallMote Quad. When turning on the bulbs using my sitemap, the bulbs return to their previous dim level. But when turning them on using the WallMote, they always go to 100%. In the rules that control the bulbs, I have to sendCommand(ON) to the dimmer item, as the switch item does not respond to sendCommand(ON). I suspect this the problem. Here is one of the Item definitions, all 3 of them are setup the same:

Switch StairLight_Switch "Stair Light" <light>   {channel="zwave:device:87a0cbf5:node24:switch_binary"}
Dimmer StairLight_Dimmer "Stair Light Dimmer [%.1f %%]" <dimmablelight> {channel="zwave:device:87a0cbf5:node24:switch_dimmer"}

Here is the rule invoked when tapping the WallMote for this bulb:

val stairlightstate = StairLight_Dimmer.state

if(StairLight_Switch.state == OFF){

StairLight_Dimmer.sendCommand(ON)
		StairLight_Switch.postUpdate(ON)
	}
    else{
		StairLight_Dimmer.sendCommand(OFF)
		StairLight_Switch.postUpdate(OFF)
	}

If I use StairLight_Dimmer.sendCommand(ON), the bulb does not respond. Is there something I’m missing here?
Thanks

Could you please post the whole rule including how it is triggered?

Also, what is the value of StairLight_Dimmer.state before you issue command StairLight_Dimmer.sendCommand(ON). You can add an entry in the openhab.log file by using logInfo command in your rules file

logInfo("State of StairLight_Dimmer = ",StairLight_Dimmer.state)

I have done some logging. Here’s the entire rule that I would like to use, with logging added:

rule "Adjust Stair Light"
when 
    Item stair_scene received update // stair_scene is button 1 tap on WallMote
then
   val sceneval = stair_scene.state

if(sceneval == 1.0){
val stairlightstate = StairLight_Switch.state

logInfo("SwitchState", StairLight_Switch.state.toString) // ON when ON, OFF when OFF

if(StairLight_Switch.state == OFF){
            logInfo("SwitchState", "Turning ON") // This is called when ON
	StairLight_Switch.sendCommand(ON) // Never works
}
else{
            logInfo("SwitchState", "Turning OFF") // This is called when OFF
	StairLight_Switch.sendCommand(OFF) 
}
}

I see a couple of things in your changed code…

You are doing sendCommand and postUpdate for the same Item. The two commands basically do the same thing, but there are differences with respect to how rules are triggered. This is described in more detail at https://docs.openhab.org/configuration/rules-dsl.html#manipulating-item-states.

From your original post, your main issue was that the state was not remembered when you used a physical switch. Let’s try and solve that first. You could try to declare a variable to hold the state. This variable must be updated every time you change the state of your dimmer item and then be used every time the switch item is changed to ON to update the dimmer item to its previous state. You would then have a new rules file with a variable an two rules in it. Please note that the code below has not been tested… it’s just as an example and there is also a possibility that you will need a third rule or an “if-else block” to handle the state when the switch item goes to OFF state.

var Number dimmerState = 50 //Set initial state

rule "Stair Light switched"  //restore state of dimmer when switch is switched ON
when
       Item stair_scene changed to ON
then
       StairLight_Dimmer.state = dimmerState
       logInfo("Dimmer state restored to  ->", dimmerState.toString())
end

rule "Stair Light dimmed"  // Save state of dimmer when dimmer state is updated
when
        Item StairLight_Dimmer received update
then
        dimmerState = StairLight_Dimmer.state
        logInfo("Dimmer state saved ->", dimmerState.toString())
end

If I understand what you’re saying here, I can store the dim level of the bulb in an item and use the value of that item to restore the dim state when turned on based on the changed state of the WallMote.

I’m actually pretty comfortable using rules, the problem I have with these bulbs is that they don’t behave the same as other bulbs I use, both zwave and wemo. Those bulbs always go to their previous dim level without the need for rules.

Thanks for the idea.

i got it working using your advice. I added a new ‘received command’ rule, modified the current rule, and an Item to store the dim level of the bulb. I provide a default value for the bulb in the case where the Item’s value is either NULL or 0, otherwise, I use the last dim level stored in the item. Here are the results:
rules:

rule "Adjust Stair Light"
when 
Item stair_scene received update
then
val sceneval = stair_scene.state

if(sceneval == 1.0){

val stairlightstate = StairLight_Dimmer.state

if(stairlightstate == 0){
		StairLight_Switch.sendCommand(ON)
	}
	else{
		stair_light_level.state = StairLight_Dimmer.state

StairLight_Switch.sendCommand(OFF)
	}
}

rule "Toggle Stair Light"
when
Item StairLight_Switch received command
then
var Number dimmer_state = 30

if(receivedCommand == ON){
	if(stair_light_level.state != NULL  && back_door_1_level.state != 0){
			dimmer_state = stair_light_level.state as DecimalType
		}
	StairLight_Dimmer.sendCommand(dimmer_state)
}
else{
	stair_light_level.state = StairLight_Dimmer.state
	StairLight_Dimmer.sendCommand(OFF)
}
end

Items file:

Number stair_light_level 

Thanks for the help.

You\re welcome. Great that you got it working