List of MQTT devices

Hi,

Is there a list with all the supported devices that are using MQTT? I want to know what commercial devices I can add and they can “speak” MQTT.

Thanks!

That would be a nightmare list to maintain!

Is there a specific type of device that you’re looking for?

1 Like

Yes, I know is not that simple, but I was hoping for a miracle. I am interested in the top 3-5 manufacturers that offer MQTT and it can be used with openHAB, mostly related to home security: door, locks…

As far as I understand MQTT - In theory every device using MQTT should work. I dont see how they´re not suppose to. MQTT is a simple protocol.
But maybe there are some devices which has specific requirements somehow.

I know not all devices talk MQTT out of the box and you need to create a wrapper from REST to MQTT or even have an adapter from zigbee or zwave to get the data and publish it to MQTT.

Then they can hardly be called MQTT devices :smiley:

1 Like

I think mqtt is not used widly in consumer products.

because the user has to know how mqtt works, has to have an mqtt-broker and needs to configure (server address, port, ssl, user, passwort) the device to tell it to talk to the broker.

That is far to advanced for the averga user.

You can look for product (like Tuya devices) where you can flash your own firmware (like Tasmota) that supports mqtt.

Here is a VERY long list with Tasmota-copmpatible devices.

But I see no smart locks.

Thanks! My search goes more like this: are there any customer devices that have the option to be controller through MQTT or they use MQTT to speak with their own server? I am thinking there may be some consumer ones that just work out of the box because they connect to the vendor’s cloud, but they can also have the option to broadcast the data to another location using MQTT.

You might get answers more useful to you with a "why’? Is this a thesis or marketing enquiry?

I dont think you´ll find any security devices using an “open” protocol like MQTT. Security devices uses crypted protocols to avoid people from outside messing with the device.
But in theory there should nothing to prevent a MQTT device using a crypted protocol… you just have to have a decryption before the actual MQTT message. But then again, why would a company produce such a device, rather than skip MQTT and run plain crypted protocol like Zigbee/Zwave (or anything else).

Either way it is off-topic for this forum. MQTT is an open protocol to permit foreign devices to communicate with each other. Since the protocol is open to anybody, there IS no database.

This is an openHAB forum, not a Smart Home forum.

I think that’s a little harsh - openHAB has a dedicated MQTT binding used by many, and I’m sure if there was one of these databases in existence it’d be useful knowledge that one of us might know.

But I think the answer’s already been given. Consumer devices don’t tend to ship with MQTT, so a database doesn’t exist. The list for Tasmota devices is pretty useful if you fancy flashing a consumer device, and I guess I’d add the list of zigbee2mqtt compatible devices as the Zigbee protocol was mentioned (with zigbee2mqtt you flash the USB zigbee dongle, not the devices).

In my opinion that adds another unneeded protocol layer since we already have a native Zigbee binding with a dedicated developer.

Thanks for your answers! I did a dipper analysis and yes, most of the consumer devices tend to use other protocols like zigbee and zwave, so an usb dongle would do the trick to integrate it with openHAB.

When configured to use TLS, MQTT messaging is encrypted end-to-end the same as using HTTPS provides end-to-end encryption for web pages. There are all sorts of additional security that can be used with MQTT including certificate based authentication, access control lists, etc.

The MQTT protocol was originally developed for use in an industrial context (oil pipeline monitoring were it’s original use case) and it continues to be used in all sorts of industrial, commercial, and indeed Internet of Things contexts.

But as mentioned, very few users would have the knowledge and ability to set up and configure their own MQTT broker to use with the devices so they don’t bother to expose MQTT. But that doesn’t mean that they are not using MQTT behind the scenes.

It is not an open protocol that is unsuitable for secure communications.

About once a year someone comes to the forum asking for a database of compatible devices. There have even been a couple of aborted attempts at building such a database. The problem is it’s impossible to complete. The list is ever growing and just populating it the first time would be almost as much effort as it took to build openHAB itself, if not more. And the value of such a database is suspect.

A far better approach is flip the question around. Find a device that looks promising and then check to see if its “technology” is supported by openHAB. But anyone who is willing can make another go at creating and maintaining such a database if they disagree.

Yes, indeed that exists. Have a look at the Shelly devices.
They can operate withe the vendor’s cloud, they can be used with a dedicated OH binding and they can be used via MQTT. I am using a lot of Shelly devices and all are connected to OH via MQTT (although the Shelly binding would be an alternative). This works very reliable for me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.