Log Viewer lost

cat: org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg: No such file or directory

Did you use cat from the home directory? If so you need to specify the full path cat /var/lib/openhab2/etc/org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg

That may be the reason you’ve lost the log viewer. Use openhabian tool to try and reinstall.

Do I have to reinstall the whole system or there is an option for the Viewer Log only?

There is an option for log viewer. sudo openhabian-config then select “optional components” then log viewer is the first selection.

1 Like

No luck at all :frowning:
Not able even to reinstall Log Viewer from openhabian-config:

2018-10-20_17:50:53_EEST [openHABian] Installing the openHAB Log Viewer (frontail)...
$ npm install -g frontail
node: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libstdc++.so.6: undefined symbol: _ZTISi, version GLIBCXX_3.4
FAILED (frontail)

Do you have a recent backup?

Unfortunatelly not.

Make one using sudo openhab-cli backup and move that file to your PC or somewhere other than OH. The backup zip will be in /var/lib/openhab2/backups directory.

After you have a backup it should be safe to use openhabian-config to update and install all new packages. If this doesn’t fix the issue then a fresh install may be needed. You can reinstall everything with your backup.zip.

Is this running on an SD card?

Also move to /var/log/openhab2 directory and type ls -al verify the permissions of openhab.log then cat openhab.log if you have an output look at the last entry and note the date and time.

I made the backup then I transfered to my PC.
Then I opened openhab2-logs (RaspbberyPi/OH2) via network from my PC and the directory has these files (I did not understand what exactly to do now):

Not sure why you have multiple openhab.logs? Do you have another SD card?

Nope… one only.

Looking at this your SD card may be failing. You can do a fresh image install and restore the backup or try deleting a few files and see if openhabian-config will install the log viewer.

I would suggest getting another SD card, install a fresh image and restore the backup. This will verify your backup works and you’ll still have the other SD card if needed. What do you think?

Just one question: the backup I’ve just made (following your instructions) contains the complete image of the actual system installed on RaspbberyPI?

No it only retains your configuration and userdata files for OH.

Aha… okay. I’ll follow your ideea to keep this SD card as an full backup and use another new one for a fresh reinstallation of the system. I’ll let you know about results.
Thanks a lot for your time and patience!

Since your using an RPI 3 you might want to consider using an SSD hard drive. See this link for hardware info https://community.openhab.org/t/rpi-ssd-and-msata-hat/51381/3?u=h102

Thank you! I had the same problem (openhab:9001 was lost), and re-installing it helped.