Logging to seperate log file OpenHab 3

I have recently migrated from 2.5 to 3.1. Previously I had logging to separate log files. With the changes in ver 3, it stopped working. My OS is Ubuntu 18.04.
For example, in my rules I want to log motion events in to a log file motion.log.

rule "Foyer Motion"
when
	Item Foyer_Motion changed 	
then
	var String msg = "Foyer Motion "
    msg = msg.concat(String::valueOf(Foyer_Motion.state))
    logInfo("motion", msg)
end

I have modified my /var/lib/openhab/etc/log4j2.xml file to append this to the end:

<!-- motion appender -->
                <RollingRandomAccessFile fileName="${sys:openhab.logdir}/motion.log" filePattern="${sys:openhab.logdir}/motion.log.%i" name="MOTION">
                        <PatternLayout pattern="%d{yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%-5.5p] [%-36.36c] - %m%n"/>
                        <Policies>
                                <OnStartupTriggeringPolicy/>
                                <SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size="16 MB"/>
                        </Policies>
                </RollingRandomAccessFile>
<!-- motion -->
<!-- motion Logger -->
                <Logger additivity="false" level="INFO" name="org.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.motion">
                        <AppenderRef ref="MOTION"/>
                </Logger>
<!-- motion -->
</Configuration>

I should add, the motion.log file is created, but the logs are writing into openhab.log. The motion.log is empty.

I donā€™t know what I am doing wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks

There is an example in the zwave binding:

That is one of the ā€˜breakingā€™ changes in OH3.
The name changed from

to
name="org.openhab.core.model.script.motion"

1 Like

There was one more step after correcting the name as Wolfgang suggests. I also had to move my custom appenders and loggers into the appropriate and areas. Not sure what the technical name for the <> </> brackets are called.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. It is working now.

Chris

1 Like

Sorry for crashing into this thread, I used your logging script to do something similar but canĀ“t get it to write anything. Putting the parts to the correct sections, Appenders section within and the logging part to

Of course I used name=ā€œorg.openhab.core.model.script.motionā€ . Then I just a simple ā€œscriptā€ for testing purposes with just one row, executing it in the editor.

logInfo("motion", "test")

but nothing gets written.

What am I doing wrong?

Did you restart OH ?
Post your complete logging configuration file.