Looking for cheap smoke detectors with openhab integration

You could check the Flamingo FA20RF

I am looking for smoke detectors with wireless communication to each other.
I thought of using the last one in a modification just for getting the signal with an Relais. So I could implement in raspberry gpio pin the smoke detectors.
Perfect would be a potential free contact together with wireless function.
Are there any models out there?

Hi there, I’m looking for similar things smoke interconnect detectors, Honeywell have ti, but with closed protocol :frowning: so i’m looking forward for similar product, but with open protocol. Detectors have to expand range within each other, and any of them must be capable to share informations with setted communicator based on arduino …
thanks for all ideas … if solve it, or find related product, will post here…
have a nice day

Did you find a way to receive the signal from an 433 MHz smoke detectors in Openhab? I would also like to switch to cheaper smoke detectors because more and more of my Fibaro smoke detectors are failing for some reason. I simply cannot buy multiple new smoke detetors every year for this price.

Is it maybe possible to receive the signal with this library? https://github.com/milaq/rpi-rf

@halloween @lubo_ke If you are still interested in this I just found a good and cheap smoke detector solution. I’m using the König SAS-SA2002 smoke detectors: https://www.konigelectronic.com/de/security/alarm/anschliessbar-rauchmelder-en14604-550484149

To receive the signal I’am using an Adafruit Huzzah32 and a modified version of the RC Swtich Library. I had to do multiple modifications to the library because the signal from the smoke detectors is very different from e.g Intertechno remotes.

I also wrote some code to provide a REST interface on the Huzzah32 that could be used from Openhab to send signals (the smoke detectors could theoretically also be used as alarms this way) and to receive signals. The code is still in development, but I could share it if any of you is interested.

Edit: In the meantime I replaced the REST interface with an MQTT interface because the Webserver libraries were to slow or to unstable to handle multiple requests. The Huzzah32 is no also able to send data back to Openhab with MQTT. I will publish all my work to GitHub when I tested this.

2 Likes

@TheNetStriker: Any progress in this? I’m really interested in your solution and sharing it on GitHub would be very helpful.

regards
Michael

I’ve uploaded the code I mentioned in the previous post to GitHub: https://github.com/TheNetStriker/RCSwitchGateway

You will need an Adafruit Huzzah32 and an 433 Mhz sender and receiver for this like this one. (The sender only if you also want to send commands to switches or other 433 Mhz equipment) You will also find the Autodesk Eagle files to order an Adafruit Feader compatible pcb board to connect the sender and receiver.

2 Likes

@TheNetStriker I just find your project by looking for smoke detectors and the openhab integration possibilities. Really interesting. After a year I would like to know if you would still recommend to copy your project. Or would you recommend something else now?
Thank you for sharing all this! Great job

As I see this topic coming up, let me advise to use superheterodyne 433mhz receiver like below:

Instead of the cheap ones above.

I indeed am looking for a better alternative to the 433 Mhz signal. I’ve just modified one of my cheap smoke detectors to send an MQTT signal using an ESP8266. I designed a small pcb that fits into the smoke detector. The board connects to 3 points on the smoke detector board. (9V, Ground and the alarm pin) If the board detects a smoke alert on the pin of the smoke detector it converts 9V to 5V and outputs this voltage on another pin. This then powers up the ESP8266 which sends the MQTT packet. The cool thing about this design is that this could power anything with a low enough power consumption. (e.g. a LoRa microcontroller)

I’m currently testing how much impact this additional circuit has to the battery life of the smoke detector. So far it runs for about 3 months without any batterie issues. You can see the circuit in action here: https://everycircuit.com/circuit/6139384246829056/9voltswitch

If you are interested I could provide the Eagle files of the pcb and instructions on how to connect it to the smoke detector. Every smoke detector could be different, but the main chip that is used is often the same.