with OH2 I started by manually porting my config files from OH1 with plain text editors. Now I wanted to have a look back at the Designer.
However, I’m a little lost in the documentation of OH2 and ESH as I can’t find the designer anymore. There seem to be some minor issues that foster my confusion:
- https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro shows a link “Eclipse SmartHome” with target https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/blob/master which gives a 404. I guess the link is wrong is it? The page does not mention the Designer at all.
- https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/blob/master/docs/sources/getting-started.md Does not mention the Designer at all
- http://www.eclipse.org/smarthome/getting-started.html does not mention the Designer at all. As only the roles “Hardware Manufacturer”, “Solution Vendor”, “Software Developer” are addressed there and not the end-user that wants to use the Designer, I don’t feel at the right place at ESH
- http://www.eclipse.org/smarthome/documentation/index.html does not mention the Designer at all
- https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome briefly mentions the Designer but states that ESH is no product at all and does not provide any pre-built download for the Designer. Do I really need to build it myself?
It feels a little like the Designer is no longer a first-class-citizen at ESH/OH2 anymore and its usage is somehow discouraged. However, as far as I understood, the admin web-configuration GUIs do not yet fully support the full configuration, so everyone has to stick with the text-files for some time.
As a big Eclipse and Xtext fan, I would pity tapering off the Xtext Designers…
Any hints where to get the Designer? Any idea about the mid-term plans and the documentation?