LSC Smart Connect/Tuya binding

Hi Edward. I totally agree. I have Hue and Tradfri operational as well, and Hue is by far the most reliable and stable with openHAB. The LSC devices are very cheap and therefore interesting, but I doubt if the stability issues can be fixed satisfactory.
Anyway thanks for trying out the binding.

@wim.vissers thanks for the work you did for this binding, when i first saw them in the store my first thought was flashing tasmota on them to get rid of there cloud all together. I am running into a problem that the device is online but no commands are being send or data is received by the item. I would love to help debug and make the binding more stable.

@Willemde20 Iā€™m afraid I donā€™t have may options left to improve the stability of the binding. I will discontinue active development fort hat reason.

I actually flashed Tasmota in a couple of those devices and this works fine. I personally think it is a better solution although it requires a little bit more work to start.

I successfully flashed 2 types of LSC multicolor lamps and one type of LSC filament lamp. The LSC power switch also works, but with Tasmota the manual operation doesnā€™t work anymore. You can control it fine with MQTT though.

I didnā€™t succeed in flashing the LSC siren, because the Tuya convert process doesnā€™t work with this device.

Hi @wvissers

Sorry to hear that the development of the binding is stuck at this moment.

Can you share info about how you flashed the Action LSC bulbs with Tasmota firmware ?
I was looking into to the possibility of that, but for me it was unclear what to use for the filament bulbs. The info I found was for the RGB bulbs, and the plan was to not brick the bulbs with incorrect firmware.

Maybe this is a good alternative for the binding, as MQTT widely supported.
The biggest advances is that when flashed the bulbs wonā€™t suffer from unexpected firmware updates from Tuya.

Thanks
Olaf

Hi @landzaat

Flashing new firmware is always a bit risky, but I succesfully flashed 2 color lights and 2 filament lights, following the instructions for Tuya Convert https://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert.

I used a dedicated Raspberry PI 3 for it, that worked fine. After flashing the Tasmota firmware you can connect to the WiFi netwrk (the light bulb acts as WiFi AP) and do the setup. What you need is the right template string.

For the filament LEDs I used https://blakadder.github.io/templates/lsc_smart_connect_filament.html. Even though the picture is somewhat different, the template worked fine.

Anyway, the original firmware can be saved as backup, and restored using Tasmota.

I totally agree that this is the better solution. Tuya software seems to be quite protective, and thereā€™s certainly the risk of a software update that makes the binding unuseable.

Hi Wim,

Thanks for the info in how to flash the lsc bulbs. Iā€™m going to try this. I will let you know if it also has worked for me as it has for you.

Thanks.
Olaf

I am using your binding quite some time now and it seems stable when I load the binding by hand after OH has started. So I can write a script to copy the jar into the addons folder after OH has started.
Very happy stillā€¦ Thank you for this binding.
Flashing the bulbs is my next move when things do not seem to be stableā€¦

@w8_17
Thanks for your reply. Happy that it works fine for you!

Hi,

I just tried it out this week. And everything is working just fine.
Do you have a sample Thing configuration file? I prefer to work with config files and not PaperUI.

Kind Regards
Tim

Hi Tim,

You could also use the Thing configuration file indeed. Examples:

tuya:colorled:lamp1        [ id="xxxxxx1", key="yyyyy1" ]
tuya:filamentled:lamp2     [ id="xxxxxx2", key="yyyyy2" ]

Where xxxxxn is the device Id (or gw Id), and yyyyn is the local Key. Optionally, you can also specify the IP address with ip=ā€œa.b.c.dā€, but I would not recommend that.

@wvissers
Hi
1- Just want to thank you very much.
In fact I flash my LSC filament led with Tasmota.
BUT the SMART LED colored version is now using Realtek RTL8710BN Wi-Fi SOC instead of ESP82xx
So my filamentled were flashed with Tasmota but not my color oneā€¦
You saved me !
So thanks a lot !

The price of this lamps are so low instead of other and I think they are good !
In France we buy this lamps in the market named ā€œActionā€.

Please propose this binding for a next version of openHAB ! :sunglasses:

2- After reading all the post you said that the flashing is the best method.
Maybe for the hold versions of Tuya. Not the last.
I did that for many lamps with Tasmota, it was fine. But many others canā€™t be flashed due to different component.
In Tasmota logs you have :
ā€œthis device does not use an ESP82xx and therefore cannot install ESP based firmwareā€
And Tasmota confirm they will never include this in new versionsā€¦
Only your binding works !
So your work is important for the community Please donā€™t stop it ! :pleading_face:

3- The last point. I donā€™t know why in each restart of openHAB itā€™s necessary to push your jar add-on manually. Is there a way exists not having this trouble ?

Thanks

@w8_17
Hi
If you flash, take care of the versions of the products LSC ! Some are not possible !

Hi,

After a few days of running smoothly, it stopped working. How can I debug the problem?
Iā€™m not really an openhab expert. So anything you can help me with to restore?
Seems that the Thing is loosing communication with the devices.

Kind Regards
Tim

Hi
For me a specific binding for tuya is the best way as long as itā€™s maintainedā€¦
You have another way, itā€™s to use MQTT but the configuration is more difficult !
Have a look there : MQTT for tuya
Best regards
MacLeod

Hi @MacLeod I discontinued development because I couldnā€™t get the instability fixed satisfactory.
Best regards
Wim

Hi @Tim_D_haeyer

I experienced the same issue with several devices. It seems that the tuya devices refuses connections almost at random. The binding tries to reconnect when it looses connection, but this fails frequently. Sometimes restarting openHAB solves it for some time. But to be honest I found it not reliable enough to continue working with it.

Best regards
Wim

itā€™s a shame. I was looking forward to a stable binding :frowning:

Hi @MacLeod as the binding is not stable enough at this time I wonā€™t propose it for the next version of openHAB.

I agree to your point of course that flashing is not always possible, if the device doesnā€™t use the ESP82xx family SOC. Iā€™m happy to continue development if I knew a way to increase the stability. If anybody has ideas how to improve it I would like to know.

Iā€™ve seen reactions that people copy the jar every time. That should not be necessary though. I restarted openHAB all the time (I use it in a docker container on an Intel based NAS) without copying the jar again. Sometimes it takes several minutes for the binding to stabilize, but I donā€™t have to copy it every time after a restart.

Finally got the time to flash my filament lamps with the tasmota firmware.
Wow, thatā€™s easy peasy to do. I used a RPI 3B+

Thanks for sharing this @wvissers

Hello,

thanks for work!
Please let us know if door sensors, pir sensors from tuya also works with this binding?
Smth like these

Thanks!