Lutron OH2 binding

@Erudition

50/50

If you ordered a Caseta (non-Pro) starter kit, then you might want to return it. It will not work.

You need to find a local Luron distributor and get a pro kit from them. Only “Pro” hub has option to open up the unencrypted telnet communication which is used by the openhab.

However, Caseta is not meant for any large building. The Caseta hub is rated for 30 ft of coverage. So you should put all the wireless caseta dimmers and switchers within this distance from the hub. You can make a one-time extension using a plug-in dimmer which can be converted to the wireless extender, giving you additional 30 ft coverage within the extender.

So if your dimmers and switches are going to be spaced out more than that, Caseta system will not work.

For any large-scale project you need to use radio RA2.

So far as I tried to use pico remotes with open hab, they are working OK. The response time is longer than just using them for the light because they have to jump one extra step between the caseta hub and openhab. I also noticed that after some idle time the pico remote need an extra press of the button to wake up if integrated in openhab as AV remotes.

Complete openHAB NEWB here, I’m well versed in Lutron and decide to try the openHAB with my own Radio Ra 2 system. I loaded it on a PI2 and did the binding, it found about 1/2 of my devices. I am able to occasionally get an device to respond through the PAPER GUI but not consistently and no response at all from my keypads that were auto discovered. I literally Wrote the Image, installed on the PI, did the binding and discovery and that’s it. Am I missing something here?

Just curious if most of you are running on the PI or PC?

I run it on a PC. All the Lutron integration protocol messages the binding sends and receives should be logged. Do you see those?

Hi all. I’m new to the forum and relatively new to OH2. I’ve been using the Lutron binding with my RadioRA2 sytem for a little while now, and it has worked well. However, it didn’t support all of my devices. I have a large-ish system that includes a few uncommon components. I felt like doing a bit of Java coding, so I’ve been experimenting with making some additions. So far I’ve added support for the following:

• seeTouch Tabletop keypads, with the proper channels dynamically created for each model based on a “model” parameter
  • Specific Pico keypad support, again with with per-model automatic channel creation based on a “model” parameter
  • VCRX
  • Pulsed CCO outputs (e.g. on VCRX and CCO modules)
  • RA2 & HWQS Timeclock(s)
  • RA2 “Green Mode Steps”
  • Additional auto-discovery support for Timeclock(s), Green Mode, Tabletop Keypads, Phase-selectable dimmers, tabletop dimmers, plug-in dimming modules, VCRX, CCO modules, and the Softswitch relay RF module (LMJ-16R-DV-B).

Notes:

• These changes are not quite fully baked and certainly not fully tested yet. I’d characterize them as approximately alpha quality at this point. In particular, I have only tested with RA2 as that is the only system I have access to.

• I’m still trying to decide how best to define the channels and channel types. I’m using the new trigger channels in some places, which work well for some things but not so well for others.

• The handlers for seeTouch Tabletop Keypads, Pico keypads, and VCRX, extend the new abstract class BaseKeypadHandler. This scheme allows support for new keypad types to be more easily added by again extending that class, defining a new enum of button, LED, and CCI (in the case of VCRX) components, and providing a new configureComponents() method.

• The keypad handler code allows you to drive LED states on the keypad(s). I believe you need to be running version 11.6 or higher of the RA2 software in order for the main repeater to not override your settings on unbound buttons.

• RA2 has a single timeclock. I’ve heard that HWQS may in some cases support multiple timeclocks. If so, the code should generally support that, although maybe not for querying scheduled events (which isn’t fully suppored on RA2 yet either).

Anyone interested, please fell free to take a look at my fork on github (branch: updatelutron) at:

- Bob

Has anyone found a way to make the binding work with Homeworks QS?

Dan

+1 For this, I had it working but that was earlier this year… can’t remember what I did now, and my openhab install SD card just gave up the ghost, now I’m trying to retrace my footsteps as I didn’t back it up!

Any easy way to do openhab backups? I’m off to google…

Both versions say they work with home kit, I ended up having to buy the pro hub after making that mistake

The work on the additions to the Lutron binding for RA2 which I mentioned here a few weeks ago has been slowly progressing. I have handlers for seeTouch tabletop keypads, VCRX, and Pico keypads working well, and with auto-discovery support. These allow you to monitor for key presses, send remote key presses, monitor LED states, and drive LED states. They also automatically create the proper channels for each keypad model based on a “model” parameter. The VCRX handler also supports the CCI inputs, although that still needs some testing

On the output side, I’ve added support for pulsed and maintained CCO modules (in VCRX and stand-alone), and added auto-discovery support for several additional dimmer and switch models.

Finally, I have handlers for the Lutron RA2 timeclock and “Green mode” working. However, those are still experimental and require a bit of tweaking, so I’ll probably pull that code out into a separate branch before I try to generate an initial pull request.

If anyone is interested in helping to test these additions and/or providing feedback please let me know.

• Bob

Hi Bob, I’m glad to see you are working on this. I’m experimenting with OH mostly to support some more advanced conditional logic that isn’t available with RA2. I have also noticed some of the limitations and am really glad to see your list. I’d be happy to do some testing. I think I have all the models except the relay modules. I’d love to test VCRX and driving keypad LED’s.

-Erik

Did anyone ever get this to work with the Homeworks QS? I have the telnet IP/Login/Password, but the prompt is QNET instead of the GNET that the normal binding seems to look for. I don’t have the SmartBridge Pro or anything, but the Homeworks QS itself allows telnet.

1 Like

unfortunately I’m in the same position, and don’t have a solution (other than using openhab to run expect scripts that telnet in and turn lights on/off).

I made a build here to add support for HW QS, but I guess I never got around to doing a pull request. I don’t have HW QS, and I think I was waiting on someone to try it out to make sure it worked before doing a pull request.

I can try it. I just need to figure out how to override the one in the docker container with the jar.

well that is awesome, thank you. Writing/reading to individual lights works perfectly. I can’t seem to control/sense keypads, though (and that means I can’t control my blinds, as seem to be no appropriate things/channels other than the keypads).

To be more specific, if I create a Thing as follows:

Thing lutron:keypad:study (lutron:ipbridge:qs) [ integrationId=13 ]

then no Thing is actually created (nothing in Paper UI) and there are no errors in the logs.

Alright. So I booted it up. It goes online, but doesn’t seem to download the XML properly. It doesn’t seem to scan the Access Point and pickup any “things”… thats the log below. It seems it doesn’t like something about the XML.

10:10:09.246 [ERROR] [iscovery.LutronDeviceDiscoveryService] - Error scanning for devices
com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.StreamException: : ParseError at [row,col]:[1,1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.StaxReader.pullNextEvent(StaxReader.java:73) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.AbstractPullReader.readRealEvent(AbstractPullReader.java:148) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.AbstractPullReader.readEvent(AbstractPullReader.java:141) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.AbstractPullReader.move(AbstractPullReader.java:118) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.AbstractPullReader.moveDown(AbstractPullReader.java:103) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.StaxReader.(StaxReader.java:45) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.StaxDriver.createStaxReader(StaxDriver.java:173) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.StaxDriver.createReader(StaxDriver.java:110) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.fromXML(XStream.java:1115) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.fromXML(XStream.java:1062) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml.util.XmlDocumentReader.readFromXML(XmlDocumentReader.java:87) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at org.openhab.binding.lutron.internal.discovery.LutronDeviceDiscoveryService.readDeviceDatabase(LutronDeviceDiscoveryService.java:84) [201:org.openhab.binding.lutron:2.1.0.201702112004]
at org.openhab.binding.lutron.internal.discovery.LutronDeviceDiscoveryService.access$0(LutronDeviceDiscoveryService.java:80) [201:org.openhab.binding.lutron:2.1.0.201702112004]
at org.openhab.binding.lutron.internal.discovery.LutronDeviceDiscoveryService$1.run(LutronDeviceDiscoveryService.java:67) [201:org.openhab.binding.lutron:2.1.0.201702112004]
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]
Caused by: javax.xml.stream.XMLStreamException: ParseError at [row,col]:[1,1]
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLStreamReaderImpl.next(XMLStreamReaderImpl.java:604) ~[?:?]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.StaxReader.pullNextEvent(StaxReader.java:58) ~[?:?]
… 20 more
10:11:28.021 [ERROR] [iscovery.LutronDeviceDiscoveryService] - Error scanning for devices
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.StaxReader.pullNextEvent(StaxReader.java:73) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.AbstractPullReader.readRealEvent(AbstractPullReader.java:148) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.AbstractPullReader.readEvent(AbstractPullReader.java:141) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.AbstractPullReader.move(AbstractPullReader.java:118) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.AbstractPullReader.moveDown(AbstractPullReader.java:103) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.StaxReader.(StaxReader.java:45) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.StaxDriver.createStaxReader(StaxDriver.java:173) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.StaxDriver.createReader(StaxDriver.java:110) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.fromXML(XStream.java:1115) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.fromXML(XStream.java:1062) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml.util.XmlDocumentReader.readFromXML(XmlDocumentReader.java:87) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.10.0.b1]
at org.openhab.binding.lutron.internal.discovery.LutronDeviceDiscoveryService.readDeviceDatabase(LutronDeviceDiscoveryService.java:84) [201:org.openhab.binding.lutron:2.1.0.201702112004]
at org.openhab.binding.lutron.internal.discovery.LutronDeviceDiscoveryService.access$0(LutronDeviceDiscoveryService.java:80) [201:org.openhab.binding.lutron:2.1.0.201702112004]
at org.openhab.binding.lutron.internal.discovery.LutronDeviceDiscoveryService$1.run(LutronDeviceDiscoveryService.java:67) [201:org.openhab.binding.lutron:2.1.0.201702112004]
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLStreamReaderImpl.next(XMLStreamReaderImpl.java:604) ~[?:?]
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.StaxReader.pullNextEvent(StaxReader.java:58) ~[?:?]
… 20 more
10:11:28.022 [ERROR] [.internal.discovery.DiscoveryResource] - Error occurred while scanning for binding ‘lutron’: : ParseError at [row,col]:[1,1]
… 20 more
10:13:32.004 [ERROR] [iscovery.LutronDeviceDiscoveryService] - Error scanning for devices
… 20 more
10:13:32.005 [ERROR] [.internal.discovery.DiscoveryResource] - Error occurred while scanning for binding ‘lutron’: : ParseError at [row,col]:[1,1]
… 20 more
10:14:07.398 [ERROR] [iscovery.LutronDeviceDiscoveryService] - Error scanning for devices
… 20 more
10:14:07.399 [ERROR] [.internal.discovery.DiscoveryResource] - Error occurred while scanning for binding ‘lutron’: : ParseError at [row,col]:[1,1]
… 20 more

The discovery service is trying to read http://[bridge-ip]/DbXmlInfo.xml. What do you get if you go to that URL with your browser?

Allan, is there anything I can provide in terms of e.g. telnet info that would help get my QS keypads working with your JAR?

many thanks,

Dan

A bunch of stuff… it looks like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
  <!--                                                                      -->
  <!-- This file and the information contained herein are confidential      -->
  <!-- and proprietary to Lutron Electronics Co., Inc.  Unauthorized        -->
  <!-- possession or use of this file or the information contained herein   -->
  <!-- is prohibited.  No reproduction may be made of this file without     -->
  <!-- the express written permission of Lutron Electronics Co., Inc.       --><Project><ProjectName /><Copyright>Copyright 2010 Lutron Electronics Co., Inc. All rights reserved</Copyright>

To be more specific, if I create a Thing as follows:

Thing lutron:keypad:study (lutron:ipbridge:qs) [ integrationId=13 ]

I don’t think you’re supposed to have that leading Thing, just

lutron:keypad:study (lutron:ipbridge:qs) [ integrationId=13 ]

Thoughts on the XML? I can send you the full file if you want it.