LZW31-SN listed as Unkown Device

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: INTEL Celeron J5236, 2GHZ, 8192MB. Synology NAS 920+
    • Java Runtime Environment: Java Verson 11
      *Docker: 20.10.3-1239
    • openHAB version: 3.2.0 - Release Build
      *Z-Wave Binding: 3.2.0
      *Zwave Stick: Zooz 700 Series Z-Wave Plus S2 USB Stick ZST10
  • Issue of the topic: Added LZW31-SN Dimmer switch device to things. It is listed as Online but thing type is listed as Unknown.
    *Device: LZW31-SN Red Series Dimmer

*Other information: I have added other things (GE Switches) to my openhub and can control them without an issue.
When added the LZW31-SN Red Series Dimmer is added it creates an xml file.
Looking at the file it appears it is not able to identify the Manufacturer, deviceid, or device type:

• manufacturer:0x7fffffff
  • deviceId:0x7fffffff
  • deviceType:0x7fffffff

Thanks,
Jason

The device is not discovered correctly yet so for some reason the binding has not been able to request this data and therefore can’t work out what the device is.

Thank you for the prompt response.
Is there anything I can do to help it discover it correctly?
Is there a chance that it will eventually discover it correctly and the binding be able to request the data?

Since I know the mode of my switch can I edit the xml file myself?
I did try and search for this information but I was not able to find all three components manufacturer, deviceId or device type.

There’s not a lot you can do to resolve this (ie there’s no way to manually define anything that will help with the communications problem). If the device isn’t communicating with the controller, then it is unlikely to work. You really need to work out why it’s not communicating - may it’s too far away?

You can try the debug logs to see if that helps shed any light on the issue.

The values you provided above are invalid - they mean that the binding is unable to communicate with the device to download this information, so this needs to be resolved before you can get the right values.

The other thing that raises a flag is the use of a 700 series controller. That might be contributing.

Also did you check the community zwave DB to see if you can find your device? I think I found it

BTW- Welcome to the community.

Bob

1 Like

Oooo - well spotted. I missed this point as there was a further statement -:

I’m actually really surprised that the 700 series controller works at all with ANY devices to be honest, but if it works with other devices, as stated here, then it should also work with this one.

I did find this device on the db but I was not sure how that information related to the device parameters in the xml file.

I did several searches on this and others seemed to get it to work. However most of their solutions seemed to have it resolved once they updated their bindings or they were using older versions of openhab. Also most of those posts were at least 2-3 months old.

Since I do not believe my bindings are out of date it maybe the related to it being a 700.

Before I just threw in the towel I wanted to make sure there was nothing else I could try.
I guess I was also hoping new solutions or updates were found during that time.

If it is related to the 700 stick I am using I guess I will have to research other sticks to purchase as both my LZW31 and Eaton switches have issues even if my GE/Jasco do not.

The database is irrelevant at the moment. Until your device is communicating with the device, and the manufacturer information is correct, the database is not even used.

The 700 sticks use a different command to talk to the binding, so I’m surprised that anything works. If you have some devices working though, then I doubt it is that, and maybe Silabs have changed the way the firmware is working so that is more backward compatible.

What did the debug logs show you?

Attached are the openhab and Events log files.
Are there any other logs I should be looking at?
To me as a fairly new user to Openhab (I want to be a former smarthings user) they don’t tell me much but I maybe they are more telling to experienced users.

I added two devices one was a GE switch (Node 20) and the other LZW31-SN (Node 10).

To create these logs I deleted my old instance and cleared the folder contents and created a new one.
openhab.log (12.0 KB)
events.log (9.2 KB)

I removed personal/location info and ip/port information from the logs.

You need to enable debugging - please take a look at the binding docs on how to do this.

However, this does show that this issue is not isolated to one device - there are lots of devices showing here that don’t have manufacturer information known…

Please increase the log level (see ZWave - Bindings | openHAB), remove Node 10, re-add it and post the new log file.

I have followed those steps and attached a new log file.
openhab.log (22.5 KB)

I have several LZW31-SN and Eaton switches along with a few other one off devices. I was tackling these issues one at a time starting with the most important ones which were the LZW31-SN.

I was hoping that knowledge gained to fix one would help fix the other issues.

The log is pretty bare to be honest. There is absolutely no zwave traffic logged so I’m not really sure what is happening here :confounded:

I do think that when well over 50% of your devices aren’t working, it’s worth mentioning this. Your issue looks like this is an isolated problem with a single device, but from this log, you have around 36 devices not working and 25 that might be ok.

Fair point and my assumption that since they all had the unknown device issue that what solved one of them would apply to others was premature.

As I went through re-adding nodes to openhab I noticed that all of the light switches that were not being recornized shared one thing in common. They were added to my smarthings hub using S2_Authentication.

When I disconnected them and added them back using legacy. OpenHab recognized at least the one switch I tested this on.

Tomorrow I will try out more of them.

Thank you for your help!

This assumption may well be correct - however the point is that it completely changes what solutions someone without this knowledge may propose (eg someone like me). If it’s just 1 device that has a problem, and others work fine (as you stated) then that’s a completely different ballgame to their being 36 devices that aren’t working, and I would certainly look at this very differently.

We’ll get there :slight_smile: