Mail warning from Google

As of today I am getting mail warnings from Google. Like the one below. It says that the mail cannot be verified as coming from the community.

Any idea how they verify, i.e. what they are missing all of a sudden?

Usually an SPF record and Domain Keys DKIM will help prevent this. Most of my emails from community.openhab.org go to spam because of the the missing SPF record.

Here is how google is looking at the email. I think an SPF record authorizing ispgateway.de should help.

ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com;
       spf=neutral (google.com: 80.67.18.28 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of replies+verp-xxxxxxx@community.openhab.org) smtp.mailfrom=replies+verp-xxxxxxx@community.openhab.org
Return-Path: <replies+verp-xxxxxxx@community.openhab.org>
Received: from smtprelay05.ispgateway.de (smtprelay05.ispgateway.de. [80.67.18.28])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id m3-v6si14107916wrj.169.2018.06.07.11.08.26
        for <dxxxd@mxxe.com>
        (version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128);
        Thu, 07 Jun 2018 11:08:26 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 80.67.18.28 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of replies+verp-xxxxxxx@community.openhab.org) client-ip=80.67.18.28;

This tool also help check the mail setup
https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/checkmx/check?domain=community.openhab.org&dkim_selector=

1 Like

Thanks, I am looking into it. Our nameserver has an SPF record for ispgateway.de, I’ll have to figure out, why it isn’t recognized…

This is also a good site to check the setup.

https://mxtoolbox.com/domain/openhab.org/

It shows the MX record, but no SPF record.

Thanks! SPF record should be ok now, I didn’t yet figure out whether our provider supports DKIM on his mail servers as well. But I hope that the Google warning is already mitigated by the SPF record, can you confirm?

The problem rains the same. Maybe the DKIM and DMARC records are required as well.

Problem with authenticated e-mail not working is back (again).

There may be issues starting February 1st, 2024 if DKIM and DMARC are not properly configured @Kai

See:

Hm, I can only hope that we are below the 5000 mails/day threshold, because our provider does not support DKIM and DMARC. I have reached out to their support to see if they plan to add it. If not, we might have to think about switching our ISP, which would be quite some effort…

3 Likes

If you are concerned about mails, you could look at i.e mailjet. It is typical service which people use to send mails “at scale”.