Manual install failling on debian 8

Hello,

I’m trying to do a manual install on a debian 8 and I’m getting the following errors:

avahi-autoipd is already the newest version.
avahi-autoipd set to manually installed.
avahi-daemon is already the newest version.
avahi-daemon set to manually installed.
python is already the newest version.
python set to manually installed.
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
python-pip : Depends: python-setuptools (>= 0.6c1) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: python-dev-all (>= 2.6) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
FAILED

I have tried to manually install python-setuptools but:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
python-setuptools : Depends: python-pkg-resources (= 5.5.1-1) but 33.1.1-1~bpo8+1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Ideas? Thanks.

Since OH doesn’t require Python or PIP I’m not sure how much help you will find for this on an OH forum. I suspect you will find more help on stackoverflow or a Python forum.

@rlkoshak, good to know it is not necessary, but I got this error while running the manual installation script for OpenHabian 2 and one of the lines of the script is:

**$ apt -y install apt-transport-https bc sysstat avahi-daemon python python-pip avahi-autoipd**

On second thought, If it isn’t needed you is the script trying to installing it?

OpenHABian installed it because other stuff that OpenHABian installs, or perhaps openHABian itself needs Python.

But you indicated you are doing a manual install so it doesn’t really matter what openHABian does. I’d say 80% to 90% of what openHABian does is setting up and configuring the OS and other third party services. If you are doing a manual install of OH then you are taking those steps upon yourself.