Manually adding Z-Wave neighbor for door sensor (ZD2102)

Now that you mention it, I do have the thermostat reporting back but it updates once per minute but I can’t see that that’s causing that big of a problem.

Eh, once a minute is kind of aggressive for a thermostat (…unless it’s stationed above a pot of soon-to-be-boiled water), but in the grand scheme of things isn’t going to be either here nor there.

The reasoning behind the frequent updates is to try and sync manually entered set point changes at the thermostat with the system.

OK so I looked at your door/window sensor ( https://www.amazon.com/Zipato-Z-Wave-Window-Sensor-VS-ZD2102-US/dp/B00Q68IXSQ?ie=UTF8 ), and I can’t help but notice that it’s a dead ringer for the go control door/window sensor ( https://www.amazon.com/GoControl-Z-Wave-Door-Window-Sensor/dp/B00MNYSEF4/ref=sr_1_4 ). Usually when I see something like that it means that they’re actually the same hardware inside just being OEMed by different companies.

Why that matters is because I have the GoControl version, and I’d been having a heck of a time getting them to work. Long story short the instructions for how to get them included don’t really work. So through lots of experimentation and process of elimination, I found a process where I was able to get them to include and work 100% reliably. I’m suspecting that your device (since I believe it’s an OEM of the same unit) probably could use the same level of hand-holding to get it to be reliable…

…so while I know this seems like a lot of voodoo-ish hop on one foot while reciting the HMS Pinafore, it’s very tough to argue with results so I figure it’s worth giving a try. (I have 12 of the GoControl units working, now.)

To associate a GoControl door/window sensor:

• Be near the controller. This is very important! I’m normally able to associate units a floor above my z-wave controller without problem. So far these are the only units I’ve used that required me to be very close (a few feet).

• Open the case, put in the battery, close the case.

• Hit include on habmin.

• With the red light still flashing, swipe (a / the) magnet across the unit 4-5X until LED is extinguished.

• Wait for include timer to expire in habmin

• Open the case, tap the intrusion switch 10X, close case. LED should go out relatively quickly.

I found that if I didn’t do this procedure I’d get either no results or verrrrrry inconsistent results with the GoControl door & window sensors. Once I got that procedure down, I haven’t had nary a miss! I figure since you’re running out of ideas I’d share it. :wink:

I have not found a way to reliably wake up these devices. Opening the case doesn’t do it, tapping the intrusion switch doesn’t do it, swiping a magnet doesn’t do it, and neither does any combination of them so I eventually gave up. They wake up roughly once/day on their own.

(Note that these are the only sensors that I’ve had this kind of trouble with; the aeon and everspring door & window sensors I have were easy to include and get working correctly. But those weren’t $6.50 on blowout at home depot, so I was motivated to find a way to get them working! :smiley: )

Did you hire a monkey to constantly diddle with the set points at the thermostat? :smiley:

I ran into a problem where if the automatic program kicked in to change the set point, my thermostat doesn’t send notification of the set point change over zwave. I solved it by polling every ten minutes!

This is going to be tricky… The back of the case is stuck to the door. Guess I’ll have to pry it off.

I’m pretty sure mine stays solid, but I may be mistaken.

At any rate, thanks for posting this. I will definitely try it!

The monkey is me/my wife. Sometimes it’s easier to hit the button than to pull out the phone.

If it really is an OEM of the GoControl unit, then just the back of the case is what’s stuck to the door. i.e. take out the screw, and the sensor + front case can lift up and off. You’ll have to fake it being mounted on the door by holding down the intrusion switch, but you’re a talented guy, right? :wink:

You’re misinterpreting my intent… Even polling every minute, you won’t see a linear change in the temperature, say if you went from 80F to 72F. (you won’t see “80F, 79F, 78F, 77F…”) You’ll just see 80F, then the next minute 72F. So in my mind if I don’t know that information for an extra nine minutes, ehhhh not really a big deal; my temperature probes don’t react quickly to temperature changes anyhow. (But this may just be an academic discussion, given the paucity of nodes on your network.)

So I tried it and I couldn’t get it to turn off when I was moving the magnetic near it. Not sure why, but I went ahead and included as before and did the 10 switch presses and it was suddenly working near the controller. I had never tried it near the controller before as the back and magnet were always mounted to the door.

I moved the switch closer to the door and surprisingly it kept working. I moved it to the door and it didn’t work! WTH! So I got this bright idea to rob the battery from the garage sensor and try it in the door sensor and guess what… it worked! Looks like my whole problem was a dying battery or something. What a life!

Thanks all for the help.