Matter is here, where can I jump in?

I don’t think you’re being negative at all. There’s a difference between being realistic and being cynical, and you are definitely being realistic. In the short term, Zigbee is a proven technology, and I agree that people shouldn’t wait if they need something right now.

Similarly, I’m not going to rip my Z-Wave lock out of my front door as soon as a Matter one is available, because it works just fine. It was just a HUGE PAIN to set up that nearly caused me to abandon Z-Wave before I even got started.

Maybe that’s why I’m so interested in Matter. :wink:

2 Likes

Ah, this is from two weeks ago, but perhaps someone else missed it like me? Google is releasing a new router “pro” which is also a matter coordinator.
I wonder if we will get to play with it through the google API??

Link

There are already lots of devices with Thread radios. Amazon, Apple, and Google have been setting consumers up to already have border routers when Thread devices become available.

You’re missing the point. Ideally, openHAB will be able to join a Matter mesh network and access all of the devices on it. No proprietary APIs, handshakes, or apps. No central coordinator, so no single point of failure. If one of your border routers goes offline, your mesh still works.

That’s the goal, anyway.

1 Like

I have a question of understanding:

Currently there is only a one-way connection between openHAB and Apple Homekit:

You can use the Homekit add-on to control openHAB items with Homekit. And this also applies to devices that are not Homekit certified (e.g. Livisi/Innogy devices).

Correct?!

In the other direction, the way is blocked: There is no way to integrate “Homekit only” devices (e.g. from EVE) into openHAB.

Correct?!

So my question is:
Is it possible that the new matter standard will be the solution to make “Homekit only” devices visible and controllable in openHAB?

HomeKit control is one way but that is only because control of HomeKit devices has not been implemented within OpenHAB. HA actually has this implemented implemented and is showing to be in use by 10% of installs, so it seems to be fairly popular.
You can also create virtual switches in OpenHAB and have HomeKit only devices trigger them but then you are separating your control a bit.
In terms of Matter, I don’t know.

In this project they are already translating the refrence C++ implementation to Node.js, with no native dependencies:

For example as a test you can run the Matter Node.js server, wire it to some exec command in your RaPi and discover On/Off cluster function with an Android phone that has Matter support already included in the OS.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.