I’ve started migrating my development environment over to maven/bnd per https://www.openhab.org/docs/developer/
One advantage of the old setup approach via Oomph was that it automatically configured the ESH profiles for Code Formatter, Code Cleanup, and Save Actions.
With the new approach, we are starting with a vanilla eclipse install, so all of this configuration must be done manually. Code Formatter and Code Cleanup settings can be imported from the filesystem (I swear there used to be a URL optional as well, but I don’t see it anymore). But Save Actions is a manual process which is quite tedious (comparing screenshots of my old Oomph env to my new workspace).
My concern is that this will create a lot of extra work for PR reviews as
- formatting issues will creep in and cause PR churn
- later PRs with proper settings will result in convoluted commits that are a mixture of code changes and raw formatting changes that were never applied in old commits.
- Create a bare bones Oomph profile that includes these settings by default and direct developers there.
- Host the formatter and cleanup configs somewhere and add a config step in the developer guide. Still a manual process though and the Cleanup settings can’t be exported
- Use a git precommit hook to apply the proper formatting and cleanup? I’m not sure how feasible this is but one advantage of this approach is that it would be IDE agnostic