May be a stupid question

Then why are they on the same website and why are they calling it openhab when it’s openhabian?

I shouldn’t have to google anything. The instructions should cover everything new users like me need to know.

The docs are not up to your standards and never will be. openHAB is not up to your expectations and probably never will be. So why are you still here?

It should be pretty self evident by now that home automation is hard. Perhaps too hard for you. You will never be able to just pick up a step-by-step guide and be able to create your home automation yourself. So either:

• give up
  • pay someone
  • or put in the work like the rest of us have

No one is going to do it for you, especially after your behavior on this thread (and elsewhere apparently). If that’s not good enough for you, well the Rolling Stones said it best. “You can’t always get what you want.”

3 Likes

You haven’t spent the minimum amount of work needed on your (or everyone’s in fact) part to understand the ecosystem. Combining that with your ignorant and agressive attitude as exposed here, here and on other forums, may I ask you to please leave this forum yourself before we have to kick you because of an overwhelming amount of user complaints. Thank you.

5 Likes

If Google, Amazon, Tuya, and others can make home automation easy, so can openhab, home assistant, and hubitat. The fact that they don’t is telling.

How can I do the work when I can’t even put the image file on an SD card without getting an error message that the image file is missing a partition table?

You are obviously living far from reality and don’t have the slightest feeling for equivalence - besides your missing empathy and ignorance… Hope you’ll find something that will make your life better in the future. Merry christmas and stay healthy!

1 Like

Here’s a dose of reality from my perspective.

Oh, so why aren’t you using those products and services from those multi-billion dollar companies? Why are you bothering us? You don’t like what we have to offer. Your belligerence, entitlement, and over all offensive behavior is not winning any friends here.

Follow your own advice:

1 Like

Then this is obviously the wrong place for you. Look for a out of the box solution, but expect to pay for it.

1 Like

Because those companies monetize the data they collect from their users and their platforms are dependent on a constantly available internet connection. I don’t want my privacy violated and I want my home automation to work with or without an internet connection.

I have paid for it and it’s just as difficult to understand as openhab. As far as I’m concerned, hubitat should be sued into oblivion for ripping off their customers.

Then you need to take on the work that gets paid for by all that monetization.

“You can’t always get what you want.”

Imagine that. Same for Home Assistant too I bet, and Smart Things and all the rest that you’ve tried. I wonder if there is something in common. Could it be, perhaps, home automation is hard? Maybe, just maybe, it takes a lot of work and trial and error to get it working like you want.

The best I can offer is:

• Hundreds if not thousands of users have downloaded and burned the image to an SD card using Etcher in the past couple of weeks. This is the only report of it not working. This implies there is something wrong on your end (corrupted download, flakey USB connection while writing, corrupted Etcher install, who knows?).

• We didn’t write Etcher so can’t help with anything specific to problems with it.

• Who cares? You’ve made it very clear that neither the docs nor openHAB itself can ever meet your expectations. Even if it did work you’d be complaining about how much we are all inconveniencing you.

So again, why are you still here? You’re not going to find what you want here. openHAB exists in the state it currently is in. I’m not going to cancel my Christmas vacation to rewrite the documents to your satisfaction and no one else is either. Even if we worked for yo, which make no mistake, WE DO NOT WORK FOR YOU, no one here is going to drop everything just to try and make you happy.

Move along and keep on looking. Good luck! You’re going to need it.

2 Likes

Says what it is as far as I can see. I don’t know where your looking so…

Oh, and it took me weeks of trial and error to get up and running. Openhab is free and versatile, but it’s complex. You’ve only been on here since December 16th and only 3hrs worth of reading. My system is up, running and stable but I’m still reading and learning. You have to invest some time, don’t criticise but ask.

I know the majority of what I need to but still… look at my read time compared to your own. I’m not having a go at you but people don’t get paid here to help they just do it out of the kindness of their hearts.

Oh and… I don’t use balon etcher but win32diskimager as I had problems with the prior

At least you were able to install it. I couldn’t even put it on an SD card without getting errors.

What image… (link)
What SD Card…
What hardware and o/s for writing…
What hardware and o/s for using…

I don’t see any of that??

Update:
So I just see your other post

The risk is your going to erase the sd card.
Just try win32diskimager, it’ll work first time with an openhabian image. As I said above - balon didn’t play nice with my system.

If only the documentation was as detailed as you want me to be with my forum posts, I wouldn’t need to ask for help.

I’m quite a tolerant person and still trying to help you when others won’t but your comments show your not willing to help yourself. Stop the bitching and come back with something constructive - like you have tried what I suggested.

Until then. Have a lovely Xmas and new year. Good luck :+1:

3 Likes

@will2568 wow. I‘ve spent a few minutes reading this whole dialog because I couldn’t believe what you‘re writing nor the way you do. Those people spending their time developing and maintaining such a great project. They do not even get a penny for it.
Google, Amazon and all the others you’ve mentioned earn money with your data. The team behind OpenHAB doesn’t. I‘m sorry you‘re disabled but none of us is responsible you‘re. So be thankful other people spending their time to help you. Be polite and ask for help if you need. And spend some time to learn more about the system. Or pay for a provider or a manufacturer of a commercial system. It‘s up to you.