Miele Cloud-binding

I don’t know but they said it will be 3rd quarter of 2020

Now with covid it can be retarted.

I’m not defending them but I think it will come, but a bit latter maybe.

I’m not worried so much due to timelines but because BertP talked about getting feedback from the community but hasn’t responded to ANY messages at all for around half a year. Can’t attribute that to Covid in any way but rather looks like there isn’t any interest in what we need, so I doubt that they still care about the binding.

Maybe it is time for the community to build our own binding. The Miele Cloud API should be available to us, “just” a matter of coding it. Not sure if there is anyone with the skills and time.

Yes this would be greate! I’m also waiting for it

I also want to weigh in and say I’m also very interested in this binding. More informations from Miele would be much appreciated.

Hi! I’m Björn and the primary developer of the binding. Because @BertP is currently not available, I will reply instead.

We are glad to see that there is still interest in the binding and are sorry for the long delay before providing updates on the schedule. Unfortunately, we progressed a bit slower than expected due to some external factors.
At the moment, we are internally testing a beta version of the binding. In about 2-3 weeks we plan an open beta test with the community and are looking forward to the feedback of the community. Further information will follow soon.

6 Likes

In the meantime, there is still the option to use my Miele to MQTT script until this binding is ready. Of course, I definitely recommend using the new binding when it becomes available, as my script is very rough, but I have been using it for a couple of years now, and it works for my needs :slight_smile:

You can find the link here: Miele Cloud to MQTT

1 Like

Great. Thanks for you work and I will test it a soon is avaible.

We are happy to announce that the open beta starts today!

We set up a GitHub repository containing the compiled binding, documentation and issue tracker here. The binding can be downloaded from the releases page. For information concerning the binding installation, consult the installation instructions for manually provided add-ons in the openHAB documentation.

If you have a question regarding usage of the binding, please post it in this thread. If you encounter a bug or have a feature request, please open an issue on GitHub. We will make the source code public once we open the PR to the openhab-addons repository.

The binding is almost feature complete with respect to the planned features mentioned in @BertP’s first post. The development will thus focus on fixing bugs and implementing planned features that are not available yet. This means that we accept feature requests via the issue tracker but cannot guarantee to work on implementing them.

In the coming weeks, we will collect your feedback, fix bugs and implement remaining features. There will be new beta versions on an irregular basis. I will post in this thread whenever a new version is released. We plan on opening the PR to the openhab-addons repository in about two to three months. This schedule may change depending on your feedback and the number of bugs that we missed during testing with openHAB 2.5.x.

Regards,
Bert, Martin, Ben and Björn

6 Likes

Fantastic news, I was afraid that the project got buried by Miele. Thanks for keeping us in the loop @BjoernLange, happy to participate in the open beta and to report back.

Quick first feedback: Installing the binding and pairing with my Miele account worked without any issues. I very much like the good guidance for the pairing and the possibility to copy&paste the things config. Well done!

Started polling data for my washing machine, at first glace it seems to work, will start testing now with real world activities. Already added two feature requests on github, a third one may follow. Later on, I will add my dishwasher and tumble dryer.

To anyone confused by the API registration process. I know it is pretty straight forward. The API part still confused me because of the way the server behaved. So I thought I’d mention it here.

1. If you have not already done so, create an account with Miele by registering e.g. using the Miele@mobile smartphone app. This will also take care of connecting your devices with your WiFi and registering them with the Miele account you just created.

2. Download the binding .jar and put it in the openHAB /addons folder. As usual the binding startup happens automatically on-the-fly.

3. Visit the API registration website. Use the same email address and e.g. openHAB as an app name. Deal with the captcha and click “Register”. This part confused me because there is no feedback: After clicking “Register” the website is briefly waiting for a response. After that it just reloads, showing a blank page and an a generic menu. You will now have to wait for an email containing an activation URL. This can take quite a while. In my case about 20 minutes.

4. Visit your-openhab-ip:8080/mielecloud and follow the instructions. The wizard is pretty straight forward. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just bought a new Freezer as I have seen that there is support in openhab for Miele deviced. - The new binding seems to be able to work without the Gateway, which is a good sign. Just now I am recognizing, that even though my devices and my openhab instance are in the same network it seem that I’d still have to use the cloud service from Miele to get the data into openhab, is that right? That would finally drive the use of openhab ad absurdum. What would be the benefit to have a self-hosted smart home solution if the data still is routed through some cloud? Is there a way to use the Miele binding without any registration and communication via external services?

Just installed it and I’m very happy to have it. Thanks a lot for the work.

I was wondering what are the thoughts behinde this bindeing? Should it be a control binding or a remote binding.

What I mean is, now I can see how my Dishwasher (G7365) is configured. Wich is nice.
But I would like to to be able to remote control it. So I would like to change all programms. To set a spesific start time or a specific end time. Is this possible?

The power button is defined as string, but in my opinion it should be a switch. I change it to switch in sitemap but it did not work proparly. (I’m not very expereince with openhab, so I assume this is a user problem)

Thanks anyway for your help and for this greate binding!

Although (imho!) cloud based solutions are not really in the spirit of openHAB: This is still a good compromise, given that the XGW3000 is just too expensive in cases like mine where there are just a few (or even only one) supported devices. Kudos to @BjoernLange and Miele for putting a foot down for the nerds and making this possible! Thanks a ton!! :+1: This is exponentially better than others are doing. Yes, I’m looking at you, Velux! :wink:

Sadly, our tumble dryer is three years old and therefore not supported. (Sounds like talking about a smartphone.) So there I’ve had to resort to the good old brute force power consumption “solution”. :slight_smile:

The cloud handles the connection between Miele user account and the appliances. If you connect from a different device using the Miele App (i.e. smartphone and tablet), they both see the same appliances that are paired to your user account. If you change something on one device (smartphone), the other device (tablet) will have the changes synchronized. This requires the paring to be stored somewhere, either a gateway or in the cloud (if you don’t have some kind of “hub” in your home that handles the paring). Most manufactures will only allow connection to their own “hub” (or cloud). With the removal of the (expensive) XGW3000 gateway, the hub is now the cloud. As far as I know, the XGW3000 gateway allowed connections from within your own network without the need for an external cloud.

I assume that both – gateway and cloud – also do some kind of preprocessing of the data as well as limiting the access for security reasons. The appliances might not have an API that can be consumed right away by openhab. The appliance might also not have user management and therefore only have a single “user” to connect to, which is the cloud.

Maybe @BjoernLange could talk about if Miele will allow direct connections to appliances in the future and if that would even be possible at all (from a technical standpoint)?

That would be ideal, but I doubt it will happen. :confused:

I think the crux lies in the authentication process. Currently either the XGW3000 or the Miele cloud servers issue trust tickets that can be used to query the individual devices. For a direct connection either openHAB would have to be able to issue these granting tickets. Not going to happen imo or the whole Miele security infrastructure would be compromised. Or there would have to be a granting ticket generation process for every individual device. The latter would probably mean too much hassle for Miele considering there are now already two possibilities to integrate their devices. An expensive one for the “power users” via XGW3000 and one for the “casual” users that is basically free.

However, I would very much like to be proven wrong! :slight_smile:

Yes I know and still dislike this basic idea. I want to have fully control over the devices I buy and the hub shall be OpenHab (even if this spells with an a instead of a u).

… with attaching the devices to OpenHab it makes it completely useless to use the Miele services in my eyes. I want to have a single system for all my devices and therefore I have chosen OpenHab as device- and vendor-independent system.

Clearly I appreciate Miele’s efforts to contribute an integration, but I hope they also understand my concerns and choose to be open minded and allow/support a solution without there services. These days my internet connection is quite ok, but there are regions where there is still no highspeed internet available and relying there on external cloud services is a nightmare!

Do you mean that with the XGW3000 it would be possible to connect to the Miele appliances without any interaction with Miele’s cloud services not even registration?

Yes! :slight_smile: The XGW3000 is a local solution. It does not require an internet connection and as far as I know no Miele account is required. You would need to use the community Miele@home binding for this.

1 Like

Just for my understanding. Is it possible to change values with this cloud-binding?

I have a miele dishwasher with powerdisk function. So it would be greate to choos the right program, set a start or end time and etc… Is this possible?

I managed to install the binding and it works fine.