Miele Cloud-binding

Dear openHAB community,

the Miele & Cie. KG decided to develop and contribute, in cooperation with the itemis AG, a new binding for our cloud-based Miele@home devices to the openHAB community. This binding will communicate with the Miele@home devices directly via the Miele 3rd Party API without the need for the Miele XGW3000 gateway.

In agreement with @Kai the new binding is not intended to replace the existing gateway-based Miele binding, but to provide an additional purely cloud-based Miele binding to the openHAB community. Miele believes that this provides a benefit for users that want to integrate their WiFi-enabled Miele@home devices into openHAB without the need to buy the additional Miele XGW3000 gateway (cf. this request in the forum), while not restricting other users that want the integration via the gateway. The two Miele bindings will thus be strictly separate, and our development activities will focus exclusively on the new cloud-based binding without official support for the existing gateway-based Miele binding.

We are aware of the forum discussion concerning the development of a binding for the cloud-based Miele@home integration into openHAB. As far as we know, no active development of a cloud-based Miele@home binding has started yet, so that there is no work that might become obsolete after the contribution of the new binding. We are glad to read about the interest in our products as well as the interest in their integration into openHAB. We appreciate your feedback on our plan of providing a new cloud-based Miele openHAB-binding.

The binding development is expected to start at the beginning of March, if there is no objection from the openHAB community in the meantime. A major part of the binding functionality already exists and will be migrated to openHAB. For a list of Miele@home devices and features that we plan to support see below.

We will keep this post updated during the binding development.

Please let us know if you have questions or suggestions regarding our plans for the cloud-based Miele@home binding.

Sincerely,
Bert Plonus (Miele),
Martin Lepsy (Miele),
Benjamin Bolte (itemis),
Björn Lange (itemis)

Planned Miele@home device support

• Washing Machines
  • Tumble Dryers
  • Washer Dryer
  • Dishwashers
  • Ovens
  • Hobs
  • Hoods
  • Coffee Machines
  • Fridges
  • Freezers
  • Fridge-Freezer Combinations
  • Wine Cabinets

Planned feature set

The following list of planned features describes the superset of features for each Miele@home device category. There might be devices of a device category that do not support all the stated features, i.e. the available features depend on the individual Miele@home device capabilities.

• Automatic discovery of Miele@home devices that are associated with the used Miele user account
  • Showing the device state such as off, on, running, etc. (all device categories)
  • Showing the device’s power state, i.e. on/off (all device categories)
  • Showing the currently selected program of the device (washing machines, tumble dryers, washer dryers, dishwashers, ovens, coffee machines)
  • Showing the time delay before starting the currently selected program of the device (washing machines, tumble dryers, washer dryers, dishwashers, ovens)
  • Showing the device-specific phase of the active program (washing machines, tumble dryers, washer dryers, dishwashers, ovens, hoods, coffee machines)
  • Showing the remaining time of the active program (washing machines, tumble dryers, washer dryers, dishwashers, ovens, coffee machines)
  • Showing the progress in percent of the active program (washing machines, tumble dryers, washer dryers, dishwashers, ovens)
  • Showing if the active program has finished (washing machines, tumble dryers, washer dryers, dishwashers, ovens, coffee machines)
  • Showing the selected spinning speed (washing machines, washer dryers)
  • Showing the selected temperature (washing machines, tumble dryers, washer dryers, dishwashers)
  • Showing the ventilation power (hoods)
  • Showing the selected target temperatures (ovens, fridges, freezers, fridge-freezer combinations, wine cabinets)
  • Showing the current temperatures (ovens, fridges, freezers, fridge-freezer combinations, wine cabinets)
  • Showing the supercooling and superfreezing status (fridges, freezers, fridge-freezer combinations)
  • Showing the status of the device light (all device categories)
  • Showing a device error indication (all device categories)
  • Turning the device on/off (washing machines, tumble dryers, washer dryers, dishwashers, ovens, hoods, coffee machines, wine cabinets)
  • Starting/stopping of the selected program subject to device-specific conditions (washing machines, tumble dryers, washer dryers, dishwashers, ovens)
  • Switching the supercooling and superfreezing modes on/off (fridges, freezers, fridge-freezer combinations)
  • Switching the device light on/off (all device categories)
25 Likes

Please do take advice from the openHAB community but realize that there is no one user who speaks for the whole community and you should not feel obligated to follow anyone’s advice or demands. We have a diverse community with a diverse set of opinions but at the end of the day, code will always speak louder than forum postings.

I personally am very encouraged and happy when I see vendors contributing to OH and I applaud your efforts and look forward to your new binding even if I don’t have any Miele devices.

6 Likes

You said exactly what I thought +++

1 Like

Thank you! This seems like it will be a perfect addition to OpenHAB. I can confirm that although I planned to read up on how to build bindings, I never got past the point of just installing the Eclipse requirements before I ran out of time :slight_smile:

-So this effort is very welcome, and if you need anything from us amateurs, including testing etc., please feel free to shout! :smiley:

First, thanks. I think it’s great news that a mainstream (albeit upmarket) vendor is considering adding (or even just not trying to ban) FOSS involvement for their products. If an appliance involves water, I’ve only ever bought Miele due to a perception of lower quality from other manufacturers, but this post, and this statement of intent from Miele alone will mean that as appliances fail they’ll be replaced with Miele.

Second, I’d love to see some non-cloud connections; I don’t particularly want or need to connect any device to the internet, and everything like TVs, Soundbars, etc that I don’t want to connect to the internet is firewalled off. I can see no benefit whatsoever to connecting eg. a coffee machine to the internet. I have a VPN available to my home, and that works perfectly for me.

Exciting news! I have a new Miele Washer & Dryer scheduled to be delivered this week. Is there a timeline? Is this being developed out in the open on GitHub?

We are very pleased with the feedback we have received on our announcement of the development of the Miele Cloud Binding.
Here is some additional information on questions that have arisen:
- The Miele Cloud Binding will be a pure Cloud Binding
- A local connection of ZigBee and WiFi based devices can be done via the binding created by @kgoderis Miele@home Binding . In any case, the Miele@home Gateway XGW3000 is required
- The development is expected to be completed by the beginning of the 3rd quarter of 2020.
- As soon as the beta testing phase is reached, we will upload a snapshot to GitHub.
- We will publish the entire repository on GitHub when development is complete.

3 Likes

Hi Bert and the rest of the team,

Very cool that you are planning to actively contribute to this open source community - thanks, and welcome!

I’ve been trying to get in contact with Miele developers years ago with bug reports and feature suggestions, but never succeeded. Can’t help seeing this as a small opening, sorry. :slight_smile:

A few questions:

• Would you consider adding power and water consumption data also? While checking light status is fun, being able to collect this kind of consumption information would be really useful.
  • Will there be any limitations when communicating with Miele Cloud through XGW3000? If so, would you consider providing firmware updates for XGW3000 in order to push additional data to the cloud?
  • Kind of off-topic, but still: Since XGW3000 seems abandoned by now, would you consider publishing information about the closed API’s? I’m aware of three API’s: Homebus (open), Rest and JSON-RPC. I managed to reverse engineer most of the Rest protocol, but only managed to get water and power consumption data out of ExtendedState - see http://techblog.vindvejr.dk/?p=198. Would be nice if it would be possible to extend the XGW3000 also to have a fast Internet- and Miele service-independent API also without all the Homebus limitations.

Best regards,
Jacob Laursen

1 Like

Hi BertP,
Great so see that work is progressing! I have a Miele washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher with Wifi connection (2019/2020) and would love to start testing / using the Miele Cloud Binding as soon as there’s an opportunity to do so. Thank you!

Hi @BertP,
It has been 4 months since your last posting and Q3 has started. Would be great to hear if you are still working on the Miele Cloud Binding or if this has been abandoned. If it is still in the works, an update regarding the timelines would be great. Would really like to test and use the binding with my Miele devices. Thanks!

3 Likes

I have the same question. Since last week my 30 year old washing machine broke down so no I have 3 Miele machines with Wifi onboard so I can’t wait for the binding to finish. Good luck guys with the programming…

1 Like

I’m very exited and can’t wait to bind my dishwasher with openHab. Do you @BertP have any news or shedule when you are going to launch the new binding?
Thanks verymuch

I got my new Miele washing machine (Wifi) and would like to integrate it (without Gateway)

Any news? Looking really forward…

Thanks and regards

1 Like

Looks like Miele and @BertP just did a quick fake show here and disappeared again. How disappointing … and I thought I took a good decision when I recently bought my Miele devices. I don’t expect anything to happen here anymore. Time to move on with alternative options.

I don’t know but they said it will be 3rd quarter of 2020

Now with covid it can be retarted.

I’m not defending them but I think it will come, but a bit latter maybe.

I’m not worried so much due to timelines but because BertP talked about getting feedback from the community but hasn’t responded to ANY messages at all for around half a year. Can’t attribute that to Covid in any way but rather looks like there isn’t any interest in what we need, so I doubt that they still care about the binding.

Maybe it is time for the community to build our own binding. The Miele Cloud API should be available to us, “just” a matter of coding it. Not sure if there is anyone with the skills and time.

Yes this would be greate! I’m also waiting for it

I also want to weigh in and say I’m also very interested in this binding. More informations from Miele would be much appreciated.

Hi! I’m Björn and the primary developer of the binding. Because @BertP is currently not available, I will reply instead.

We are glad to see that there is still interest in the binding and are sorry for the long delay before providing updates on the schedule. Unfortunately, we progressed a bit slower than expected due to some external factors.
At the moment, we are internally testing a beta version of the binding. In about 2-3 weeks we plan an open beta test with the community and are looking forward to the feedback of the community. Further information will follow soon.

6 Likes

In the meantime, there is still the option to use my Miele to MQTT script until this binding is ready. Of course, I definitely recommend using the new binding when it becomes available, as my script is very rough, but I have been using it for a couple of years now, and it works for my needs :slight_smile:

You can find the link here: Miele Cloud to MQTT

1 Like