Migration on Rocky Linux

I’m running OH 3.4.4 on a Rocky Linux 8.x system. I do have java-17 installed from the appstream repo. Just tried to update OH to 4.0.1-1 and it won’t start. I thought the java update was the only requirement but I guess I missed something else.

Is there a list or guide for updating to 4.0 when it’s running on a Rocky Linux system?

How did you setup openHAB?

Originally I setup the repo in yum/dnf (JFrog) and ran a typical “dnf install openhab openhab-addons”. Then I started setting up the hardware and the config I want. The system is a little fanless mini PC, Celeron N3160 and 4G memory and a 120G Kingston SSD. I believe the initial OS install I selected typical workstation and let it pick whatever packages the installer thought necessary.

I’ve disabled that repo right now so it won’t try to update to OH4.

To try to update to 4 this morning I installed java-17-openjdk and java-17-openjdk-headless. Then I reenable the stable repo and updated openhab and openhab-addons to the 4.0.1-1 versions. After that it wouldn’t start. Reinstalled the 3.x version using rpm and things start working again.

Is that enough detail about how I have my system setup?

Yes, sure, but sadly I have no idea what additional prerequisite is not satisfied.

In fact, as long as there is enough RAM (and 4 GB is plenty of RAM) OpenJDK17 headless should suffice.

Just to be safe: 64 Bit or 32 Bit? (openHAB should run on both, but maybe there is another dependency on that). Java 11 was also OpenJDK?

64 bit system and OS

[root@wopr openhab]# /usr/bin/java -version
openjdk version "11.0.10" 2021-01-19 LTS
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu11.45+27-CA (build 11.0.10+9-LTS)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Zulu11.45+27-CA (build 11.0.10+9-LTS, mixed mode)
[root@wopr openhab]# dnf list installed java\* jdk\*
Installed Packages
java-1.8.0-openjdk-headless.x86_64                                                   1:1.8.0.382.b05-2.el8                                                                  @appstream
java-17-openjdk.x86_64                                                               1:17.0.8.0.7-2.el8                                                                     @appstream
java-17-openjdk-headless.x86_64                                                      1:17.0.8.0.7-2.el8                                                                     @appstream
javapackages-filesystem.noarch                                                       5.3.0-2.module+el8.3.0+125+5da1ae29                                                    @appstream

Maybe I need to tweak alternatives to point to java-17.

seems reasonable :slight_smile:

Yep that was the trick.

update-alternatives --config java

Select java-17.

Restarted openhab and 4.0.1 is now running. It all seems to be functioning the same as before the update.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.