Miio binding - huge number of threads stuck in TIMED_WAITING

I have an huge number of threads stuck at:

"Mi IO MessageSenderThread" Id=496 in TIMED_WAITING
    at java.lang.Thread.sleep(Native Method)
    at org.openhab.binding.miio.internal.transport.MiIoAsyncCommunication$MessageSenderThread.run(MiIoAsyncCommunication.java:203)

Yesterday I was trying to identify the root cause of another issue on my installation “number of open files increasing”, during which I found an increasing number of MIIO threads as above. Today however it doesnt seem to increase anymore, number of threads is quite constantly around

Threads
  Live threads                368
  Daemon threads              273
  Peak                        390
  Total started               13451

However all these MIIO threads have very old IDs and seem stuck:

"Mi IO MessageSenderThread" Id=501 in TIMED_WAITING
    at org.openhab.binding.miio.internal.transport.MiIoAsyncCommunication$MessageSenderThread.run(MiIoAsyncCommunication.java:203)

"Mi IO MessageSenderThread" Id=502 in TIMED_WAITING

"Mi IO MessageSenderThread" Id=503 in TIMED_WAITING

"Mi IO MessageSenderThread" Id=504 in TIMED_WAITING

"Mi IO MessageSenderThread" Id=505 in TIMED_WAITING

I have two vaccums connected, both seem to work find from PaperUI.