Minecraft binding not working!

Hi everyone, new user here!

Does anyone have knowledge on how to use the minecraft binding? I can’t seem to find the pluging directory on my ubuntu minecraft server to add the pluggin from the openHAB documentation.

Welcome!

I didn’t even know we had a Minecraft binding. The fact that the plugin has not been updated in five years is not a good sign, but that doesn’t mean it won’t work.

A quick “minecraft plugin directory location” search tells me that you’re not the first person with this question, and that there may be multiple answers. As such, Google and/or a Minecraft community will likely be more helpful to you than we will be. There’s a chance that someone here will know exactly what you need to do, but I wouldn’t wait for that when the answer might already be on the web.

Once you’ve got the plugin working, we can help you with the openHAB side of things.

1 Like

I can provide a little bit more info.

That binding is a 1.x version binding. 1.x bindings are not supported in OH 3. And in fact there was enough time between the last update to that binding and the last version of OH 2.5 that I wouldn’t expect the binding to work without updates even then.

But assuming that it isn’t broken you can run an instance of openHAB 2.5 and drop the jar file into it’s addons folder. Configure it how ever that github repo says to configure it and verify it works. Then you can install an OH 3 instance and use the Remove openHAB binding to connect the OH 2.5 instance to OH 3.

1 Like

Just to avoid confusion for a new user, that’s the “Remote” openHAB binding. :wink:

I’ve heard of Minecraft but don’t really know much about it. I’m curious what one might possibly want to do with a minecraft binding. I have a 4.5 year old and I’m sure sooner or later he’d be into minecraft and I’ll have to eventually learn about it.

You can have so much fun you can make it so in game you can flick a switch and the light in his room can turn on or off.

@Pixelbro250 Maybe try https://mcreator.net/link

I not sure of your background or knowledge base but updating/rewriting a Binding for openHAB would be awesome.

1 Like

That sounds AWESOME! Now you’ve got ME interested! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

People create whole games and worlds within Minecraft that get shared. It’s really impressive.

And all my eight-year-old does is create massive piles of TNT to blow stuff up. Although the underwater zombie zoo he created was pretty cool. :wink:

As for integration with OH, this old and unsupported binding may not be the only option. I bet there are tons of Python scripts and the like to interact with the Minecraft API that could be called from OH. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a Minecraft2MQTT program out there somewhere on github.

I wish i could do that! but unfortunately my knowleged is next to none on this. lol

1 Like

Yep, looks like that’s the case.

https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/mineduino.73343/

@Pixelbro250, the same logic applies. You would need to get Minecrafters to help you get this or some other plugin going, and then we can help you with the openHAB-specific MQTT configuration.

Fair warning: MQTT is tricky to wrap your head around at first. Take it step by step and do a lot of reading.

1 Like

@rpwong that might be something to check out soon! I’v already posted the question about the plugins in some minecraft groups already, just gotta wait for a reply. if not il’ll check what option I have, like updating the binding or something like that.

yeah and you cant even keep track of health and levels aswell! if it cant work properly, this could be a very cool for a setup!