MiOS, where in Openhab.cfg?

I’m trying to set up OpenHab 1.8 and want to use the MiOS binding. It states on the MiOS Wiki page to configure in the OpenHab.cfg files. I see the settings area for a ton of bindings but can’t find the MiOS section (looked through 3-4 times). Am I going nuts or simply missing something?

Would help if they were in alphabetical order but that’s another story…

It does appear to be missing from that massive file, but if you look at the section in the wiki, the values you need to enter in openhab.cfg are there. Possibly @guessed could add them to openhab_default.cfg?

Hi,

please have a look into the wiki docu @ https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/MiOS-Binding

" … Here is the simplest configuration. It contains a Unit name, house, and a hostname, 192.168.1.22, to use for the MiOS Unit connection.

mios:house.host=192.168.1.22 …"

kind regards,
Patrik

Ok. At least I’m not 100% nuts… Yet. I’ll add them manually to the file. Thanks!

That’s weird, I am almost certain that @guessed had this in the openhab_default.cfg more than one year ago… when I told to him that it was missing.

Sorry, another (silly) question. The point where it states copying the transformation files from GitHub… How do you actually do this? I can click on them and see what the files says but how do you actually copy the file itself?

Answered my own question. Found a hint on the Vera forums to download the entire master branch of MrGuessed Openhab and extract it and then copy the necessary files over.

From a Linux box (or a Mac), you can do this:

svn checkout https://github.com/openhab/openhab/trunk/features/openhab-addons-external/src/main/resources/transform/

and it’ll pull down the relevant MiOS MAP files from GitHub. This avoids cloning the repo if you just want a few files.

EDIT: I’ve gone ahead and modified the descriptions in the MiOS Binding page, and the MiOS Item Generator pages on the Micasaverde Forum, to illustrate this technique.

Ref: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7106012/download-a-single-folder-or-directory-from-a-github-repo

Probably. It’s easy for me to forget stuff if there’s not a GitHub Issue associated with it :wink:

I’ve created this PR to add it. I re-used the content for mios.cfg that I created for openHAB 2.x compat.

@guessed (or whoever can help!)-

I’m trying to run miosLoad and I get the following error:
./miosLoad.sh: line 5: syntax error near unexpected token newline' ./miosLoad.sh: line 5:

What am I doing wrong?

That script should look exactly like:

I’ve seen issues in the past, depending upon how folks download it.

You can also just do this (from an rPi or Mac) to download a clean set (grab the whole line, it extends wide):

svn checkout https://github.com/openhab/openhab/trunk/bundles/binding/org.openhab.binding.mios/examples/scripts/

… and if for some odd reason the script fails indicating:

./miosTransform.sh: line 14: xsltproc: command not found

then do this:

sudo apt-get install xsltproc

I just found the first rPi that didn’t have it pre-installed :wink:

Thank you, but I have to admit it was 100% my fault. I found instructions on how to download a file via wget by using the web address of the raw format. The problem was I forgot to click on raw format and instead used the regular address.

Files downloaded, scripts run, item file generated. I was a little confused for a moment because I didn’t realize it put the item file in the same directory and I had to move it but that was accomplished and now the information is showing up in Habmin!

The learning curve is steep but I really have to tip my hat to the great people on this forum that are willing to help out the Noobs, You all rock!!

2 Likes

No worries, it just means I need to tighten up the instructions so it’s easier for folks to avoid the pit-traps.

Let us know what other issues you run into.

I was able to build the items file and added my lock to my items page and site map, but it doesn’t show the actual status of the door. I’m guessing I don’t have the map files in the correct location? Do I need to move them to /etc/openhab/configurations/transform?

Thanks in advance!

If you’re using the apt-get style of installation, then yes.

You’ll also need to create the openhab.cfg entry to point to your Vera/MiOS unit. Normally you’ll see updates in the /var/log/openhab/openhab.log or /var/log/openhab/events.log files indicating what’s missing.

When the MAP files are missing, there’ll be frequent errors, in openHAB’s log files, each time a change occurs on MiOS/Vera.

Thanks for your help! I got it working and the item generator was an AMAZING tool!

1 Like