MQTT error in log and no mqtt events

openHAB 2.5.0~S1566-1 (Build #1566)
Raspbian
Bindings: MQTT 2.5, Zwave, Astro, mapdb, influxdb, network 2.5, NTP

2019-04-04 14:44:03.599 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.mqtt.homie      ] - FrameworkEvent ERROR - org.openhab.binding.mqtt.homie

org.osgi.framework.ServiceException: Exception in org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.SingleComponentManager.getService()

Updated to the snapshot above and get this error in the log when OH starts.

And, I don’t see any mqtt events that were working.

Don’t know what to look at, other than guess the binding got broken. Doesn’t seem to be any hits when I search for mqtt error.

The binding just recently got migrated to the new buildsystem and is not yet ready to be used.

Snapshots are not stable :wink:

Ok, good to know.

I’m aware of the unstable nature of daily’s.

That said, I’ve been running the daily of openhabian for almost a year now (went to it when some zwave devices I owned were added, but weren’t in release) and have very little issue that could be attributed to the build. (Many of my own doing :blush: )

Ok, so I switched to release and get the same error… :frowning_face::roll_eyes:

Edit:
After reviewing what openhab-config did I noted the upgrade faiuled:

The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
  openhab2
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 downgraded, 0 to remove and 99 not upgraded.
E: Packages were downgraded and -y was used without --allow-downgrades.
FAILED (apt)

Is there a way to fix this?

After some messing around with apt it appears I have that sorted.

But, while OH shows as running openHAB 2.5.0~S1566-1 (Build #1566), all the bindings show as 2.5 snapshot in Paper UI.

So, how do I get the MQTT binding to a working version? (It appears other 2.5 snapshot bindings are working NTP, Astro, etc.)

The system generally works in snapshots right now (but will probably break in the next months multiple times, when persistence services are migrated from OH1->OH2 etc).

But MQTT does not. I have no time to check that out, that’s the full story.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

At this point the only option I see is to install a fresh raspbian image of 2.5 release and hopefully restore things, items, etc. That sucks because I’ll need to re-install influx, graphana, and probably a hundred other things I’ve forgotten.

Let the fun begin. :roll_eyes:

But why?. Just clear the cache and the ~/.m2 and ~/.p2 directory and reinstall openhab via the apt-get command line and everything is good again.

Um…because I don’t know about this magic. :blush:

What are those two directories? (And, “ls -la ~/.m2” says no such file or directory :thinking: )

Edit: In fact “cd /”, “find . -type d -name “.p2” 2>/dev/null” or .m2 finds nothing

After much messing around I have now removed OH with apt, re-installed with apt. This resulted in 2.4 being resident.

And…OH won’t start. :disappointed_relieved:

But why do you add a non functioning migrated binding to the build before it’s even working??
For testing purposes? I don’t get it…

So could you please explain where to find the mentioned directories? I know the cache folder but have no idea where to find

another question is do I have to use the stable release until you fixed this?
thanks in advance…

Such a question from a person who is using a snapshot version!
I’m using the MQTT binding of the latest stable release (2.4), although it is reported to have problems (restart of openhab needed when changing MQTT Setup files,…) it is working stable for me (using only “Generic MQTT Devices”)!
Additionally, if one is not satisfied with those problems, the old MQTT 1 binding is still available!

sorry whats wrong with my question?? I just wanted to understand why it is in release… because it sounds like the author knows that its not working…

edit: btw I used the snapshot releases for over two years without major problems. And I use mosquitto not the internal broker… that was working fine until now.

There haven’t been that much changes in the code since the change to openHAB2 as we see today and that all with less people contributing. When using a snapshot you have to expect such problems, however you seem to understand a snapshot as a regular release!

Ok my fault I think but my thought was

Stable
Snapshot
Nightly

So I thought I only have to expect this in Nightly releases…
Like in debian releases… but now it seems to me that Snapshot=Nightly, right?

Correct, although there are the “Milestone” versions (intionally not using the word release), which are something between stable and snapshot.

1 Like

good to know thanks

Snapshot is a direct build from the master repository. In java slang snapshot is as hot as it gets.

And no, I did not know that the migration would cause problems. But I also have no time to fix them atm. But I also don’t need to. I’m not paid for this. And there is no imminent release in sight.

1 Like

Thanks David no problem I was just wondering…

could someone please answer my question

Or isn’t it neccessary for downgrading to delete/empty these folders?
Never heard of their existance…

I was unable to find ~/.m2 or ~/.p2

I suspect they aren’t there on an openhabian install. (pure guessing on my part though :smirk: )