MQTT Setup and Configuration

I just wanted to update you, I installed a fresh version of OH3 on a new SD card and am fighting with that, so my other projects are on hold for the time being. This new system is VERY different and it’s taking me awhile to figure it out.

Good

This might help you

So I highly recommend spending the time creating all your models with locations of every room first. The use that to create equipment from things.

Try the astro or weather binding to create a thing then rules.
The create all the MQTT stuff. When copy pasting YAML make sure you change it all the correct before hitting save as some thing will break if you try and change the id properties.

I prefer to use the config files. I’ve been rearranging things to better organize it. So far, everything seems to be working, except ZWave. I’m still fighting with it. There are so many things that got broken with the fresh install that I need to fix (just settings and parameters that need to be updated). At this point, I just need it to be functional, THEN I can play with it. I’m also doing a server for my daughter. Her setup is different because her place is so small. I’m trying to organize things by function (lights, security, etc.). Hopefully, this weekend I’ll have more time to concentrate on it.

Happy New Year, All!!! We made it out of 2020! YEA!!!

I don’t use Zwave.

Use the main UI to manage.

I guess I’m going to have to use the Main UI to manage the ZWave. I’ve been fighting with it for a couple of days and It doesn’t seem to like the .cfg files for ZWave. Everything else seems to be working correctly with .cfg files, though.

Update:
I’ve pretty much given up on using cfg files. There does seem to be some advantages to using the Main UI. ZWave seems to be working without issue.
I figured I would try to get the MQTT working next, as it seems to be the next hardest (yes, I am a masochist :-} ). I’ve got the on/off switch working, but I’m having a heck of a time with he dimmer. I’m not even playing with color, yet. I just want to get the basics working. Having the on/off working is good because I have my Master Desk lamp automated with timers in rules. I still have A LOT of figuring out to do.
I just thought I would give y’all an update, in case you were curious.

1 Like