MQTT2 --> Dimmers, On at Previous level not working

@vzorglub Thanks, missed that thread had been marked solved.

I’m trying to come back to OpenHab and have been trying to get the new MQTT binding to work with my setup. I’m running 2.5 M5 (thanks to @rlkoshak for that suggestion in another thread) but I don’t think the dimmer is still operating as I would expect it to. I have my dimmer’s Thing Channel configured to “Restore Last Dimming level on ON”, but if I send an ON command to the control topic it sets the dimmer to 100% vs. the last value? Is this a bug or a feature and is there an easy workaround?

Are you using persistence and have the item listed in the persistence file?

What is your device and what exactly is the MQTT payload sent when you send an ON command to the item

That should only matter over the course of a restart unless the system has changed since I last used it. This occurs over a matter of seconds. Thanks.

I’m testing it with a Cooper Z-Wave Dimmer. My setup is a Dimmer Item linked to the Cooper Things Dimmer Channel. I then have a MQTT Percent Thing defined with isCommand set on the control Topic (it hen reports back a status Topic) also linked to the Dimmer Item. From Node-Red, I can send 0, 50, 100, and “OFF” all with appropriate changes to the MQTT Thing and the physical dimmer. If I send an “ON” command the MQTT Thing/physical dimmer both go straight to 100% no matter what the previous value was.

Make sense? Thanks.

@vzorglub I wanted to check in on your thoughts on this? I haven’t had a chance to test any of the more recent builds if you think changes in the code have solved this? Thanks.

Sending ON with a dimmer item will actually send a 100 command, this is why this is happening
Try setting a switch item linked to the same channel and switch it ON and OFF

Thanks. But that wouldn’t that require a separate topic to control the ON/OFF? I was pretty sure I was doing an ON to dimmer from the old version of the binding (it’s been a year or so since I last used OH).

YEs you are doing an ON to dimmer item BUT the dimmer item translate that as a 100 command to the device.
Check on MQTT Explorer

By using a Switch item you will send ON or OFF as a payload to the device.

I don’t know, that will depend on your device

Thanks. I’ll test it and see if I can figure it out, and report back.