Multiple state issues with hyperion.ng binding

Does the hyperion binding have anything to say for itself in your openhab.log at startup time?

Thanks for your reply,
@wars: Thanks, lable=“LED Device [%]” did the job for my second iusse (2).

As 1 and 3 are still present i checked the log for more details.
2 Things which seem curious to me

• [WARN ] [mmon.WrappedScheduledExecutorService] - Scheduled runnable ended with an exception:
    java.lang.NullPointerException: null
    at org.openhab.binding.hyperion.internal.handler.HyperionNgHandler.updateHyperion(HyperionNgHandler.java:260) ~[?:?]
    at org.openhab.binding.hyperion.internal.handler.HyperionNgHandler.handleServerInfoResponse(HyperionNgHandler.java:178) ~[?:?]
    at org.openhab.binding.hyperion.internal.handler.HyperionNgHandler$1.run(HyperionNgHandler.java:103) ~[?:?]
    at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) ~[?:1.8.0_152]
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:308) ~[?:1.8.0_152]
    at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) ~[?:1.8.0_152]
    at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:294) ~[?:1.8.0_152]
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:1.8.0_152]
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:1.8.0_152]
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_152]

I am not clear what this means or how I can solve it. Thanks for any support

• [WARN ] [g.eclipse.smarthome.core.net.NetUtil] - Found multiple local interfaces - ignoring 192.168.0.xxx
    [WARN ] [g.eclipse.smarthome.core.net.NetUtil] - Found multiple local interfaces - ignoring 192.168.0.xxx

[INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Started Dashboard at http://192.168.0:yyy:8080
    [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Started Dashboard at https://192.168.0.yyy:8443

As said, I am running my setup on a RPI with both WLAN and ETH, first IP (xxx) is ETH and second is WLAN. May this cause any issues for OpenHAB?

And one more question, why are those lines written twice, is this normal?

That looks important, and quote possibly related to dual homing

This might help

Same IP address space?

Dashboard notices? Ports are different - http and https

Hi, yes both IPs run in the same network / IP space.

How shall this help? It isn’t my goal to have two networks on the PI, its just that both interfaces are active on the PI to easily switch if needed, but if this causes problems I am willing to turn wlan off.

I don’t know. What you are trying to do - two different portals to the “same” IP network - is called dual-homing.
I’ve no idea if your OS supports that, and if it does, if openHAB supports it.

I would guess not - unless you manage this kind of thing carefully with routing at both ends, you can get a query out one port eliciting a response via another. I’ll defer to real network expertise on that.

The thread I pointed at is someone carefully arranging his two network ports to avoid dual-homing.

Hi, there is no real reason or plan, its just that both interfaces are configured and active, but in the same network! So as far as I understand this is not dual-homing. But does it still causes problems for openHAB?

As the double IPs are both in the same network it should not cause a problem with the Hyperion binding where the hyperion.ng server is also running in the same network. Esp. because the error seems to be thrown once a scheduled rule is executed “Scheduled runnable ended with an exception”.

• What else can I do to debug this?
  • Does anyone else who is using the hyperion.ng binding sees the same error log?
  • What about my other issue that state variables are not updated after i restart openhab, any idea on this? Is it a openhab or an hyperion-binding issue?

Hi @Nears,

Is this something that has stopped working recently or has this never worked for you?

Lets put the multiple IP addresses to one side for now.

Looking at this line where the NullPointerException is thrown, I’m wondering if there has been a change in the Hyperion.ng JSON schema.

Either way, the code is trying to retrieve the status of the off flag from the hyperion section of the ServerInfoResponse and is encountering a null.

Unfortunately I don’t have either a Hyperion.ng server set up nor a OH IDE environment to test/confirm.

Could you confirm which version/build you are using?

Hi @danielwalters86,

thanks for your reply. I am currently setting up openhab again after 2 years.

It was running via GUI controll, but the rules where never running properly and initialisation of variables also did never work.Yesterday I did update Openhab via apt-get and it was completly broken, therefore I did a complet reinstall and added my config files again to the installation. Looks like the rule is now executed, but the log still shows the same exeption.

Current setup (as per my understanding the latest and greatest)
openhab - Version: 2.5.4-1
binding-astro - 2.5.4
binding-exec - 2.5.4
binding-hyperion - 2.5.4
binding-kodi - 2.5.4

I am willing to debug more, but I do not know yet how to do this on openhab. If there is any documentation or and hint form your side how to debug, I am willing to do so.

Thanks for any futher support.

Sorry, I meant what version of Hyperion.ng are you using? Based on the stacktrace I would guess at something having changed in the Hyperion.ng side in recent builds.

2.0.0-alpha.5

I’ve had a look through the response from Hyperion.ng 2.0.0-alpha.5…bad news I’m afraid. They have changed the JSON response and I’m not going to have to fix/test this any time soon.

Thanks for the reply even if there is no solution for now.
Does the change explain why I don’t get initial values in the items?
Or can you explain how it affects the binding? Are some features ok and others do not work?

BTW: Where could I find the source-code of the binding? Is it available on github?

Yes, the binding attempts to retrieve the status/initial values from Hyperion.ng but the response the binding is getting back is in a new format and is no longer recognised/supported by the binding.

You may find that issuing commands to Hyperion.ng may still work - I haven’t tried.

Anyhow the code is, of course, available in the openhab-addons repo.

Hi,

I also faced NPE after migrating to hyperionNG alpha6:

==> /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log <==
2020-06-10 22:50:58.777 [WARN ] [mmon.WrappedScheduledExecutorService] - Scheduled runnable ended with an exception:
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
        at org.openhab.binding.hyperion.internal.handler.HyperionNgHandler.updateHyperion(HyperionNgHandler.java:260) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.hyperion.internal.handler.HyperionNgHandler.handleServerInfoResponse(HyperionNgHandler.java:178) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.hyperion.internal.handler.HyperionNgHandler$1.run(HyperionNgHandler.java:103) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) ~[?:1.8.0_232]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:308) ~[?:1.8.0_232]
        at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) ~[?:1.8.0_232]
        at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:294) ~[?:1.8.0_232]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:1.8.0_232]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:1.8.0_232]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_232]

It seems the API was changed so that Hyperion general state is handled by special componnent called “ALL”:

I am running modified binding now which seems to work, state changes are reflected in OH when toggled in Hyperion and no NPE:

Screenshot_20200611_193616
Submitted PR for this issue:

@posseydon
I think I have the same issue.
How can I import your fix?

As PR has been already merged, you can get the binding with bugfix from official SNAPSHOT build:
here.

To install, I just used procedure from FAQ.

Thanks. It is working now

1 Like

Also working on my end after changing to openhab 2.5.6 and hyperion.ng 2.0.0-alpha6

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.