Multiple Zigbee Networks - Single View

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: AMD64/1GB/25GB (VirtualBox VM)
    • Java Runtime Environment: Zulu 17
    • openHAB version: 4
  • Issue of the topic: My property consists of several buildings which are separated by some distance - far enough for Zigbee mesh not to reach. I have a number of automations in one of the buildings, e.g. temperature and humidity monitoring, starting and stopping dehumidifiers, electrical heaters, lights, air filters etc. I would like to extend my automation to the rest of the property, i.e. the other buildings on the property. It will require installing separate computers with Zigbee dongles in the other buildings. However, I would like to control the entire property from a single “brain”. How do I integrate several Zigbee networks (each run from a single Zigbee hub/computer) into a single UI in OpenHab? Thank you.

I have that setup working here with two different networks and two zigbee controllers and they are merely added to OH as separate MQTT brokers.

2 Likes

I think two options might be to use remote Openhab servers.

or as @chuci suggested use Zigbee2MQTT servers.

1 Like

There are quite small Zigbee-Network devices (with PoE!) available. Search for slzb-06. You can place one of these devices in each building. If you use Zigbee2MQTT I do not know, if a Zigbee2MQTT instance is able to handle more than one zigbee device or if you need as many Zigbee2MQTT instances as buildings/Zigbee devices you have.

I have slzb-06 and am using the wifi option so I can put the dongle anywhere there is no Ethernet cable to use the POE. I just need a power point for the USB power.

The slzb-06 is a great device and I am using zigbee2mqtt.