Mwe2Launcher Error

Really hoping someone can help me with this as I really want to start contributing to the project.

I can get to step 8 of the IDE setup (https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/IDE-Setup) but run into that damned org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.launch.runtime.Mwe2Launcher error. I’ve tried every fix suggested in every discussion thread Google can find for me and it won’t go away.

Here’s the exact error:

SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details.
0    [main] ERROR mf.mwe2.launch.runtime.Mwe2Launcher  - Problems instantiating module org.openhab.model.script.GenerateScript: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
java.lang.RuntimeException: Problems instantiating module org.openhab.model.script.GenerateScript: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.launch.runtime.Mwe2Runner.run(Mwe2Runner.java:95)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.launch.runtime.Mwe2Runner.run(Mwe2Runner.java:62)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.launch.runtime.Mwe2Runner.run(Mwe2Runner.java:52)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.launch.runtime.Mwe2Launcher.run(Mwe2Launcher.java:74)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.launch.runtime.Mwe2Launcher.main(Mwe2Launcher.java:35)
Caused by: org.eclipse.emf.common.util.WrappedException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.language.factory.SettingProviderImpl$1$1.setValue(SettingProviderImpl.java:56)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.language.factory.Mwe2ExecutionEngine.internalApplyAssignments(Mwe2ExecutionEngine.java:143)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.language.factory.Mwe2ExecutionEngine.inCase(Mwe2ExecutionEngine.java:114)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.util.PolymorphicDispatcher.invoke(PolymorphicDispatcher.java:291)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.language.factory.Mwe2ExecutionEngine.internalSwitch(Mwe2ExecutionEngine.java:66)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.language.factory.Mwe2ExecutionEngine.internalApplyAssignments(Mwe2ExecutionEngine.java:142)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.language.factory.Mwe2ExecutionEngine.inCase(Mwe2ExecutionEngine.java:114)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.util.PolymorphicDispatcher.invoke(PolymorphicDispatcher.java:291)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.language.factory.Mwe2ExecutionEngine.internalSwitch(Mwe2ExecutionEngine.java:66)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.language.factory.Mwe2ExecutionEngine.inCase(Mwe2ExecutionEngine.java:80)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.language.factory.Mwe2ExecutionEngine.create(Mwe2ExecutionEngine.java:62)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.launch.runtime.Mwe2Runner.run(Mwe2Runner.java:93)
	... 4 more
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.language.factory.SettingProviderImpl$1$1.setValue(SettingProviderImpl.java:54)
	... 29 more
Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/openhab/model/items/ItemsPackage : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:637)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:621)
	at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)
	at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
	at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:171)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe.internal.core.MWEPlugin.loadClass(MWEPlugin.java:75)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe.core.resources.ResourceLoaderDefaultImpl.tryLoadClass(ResourceLoaderDefaultImpl.java:38)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe.core.resources.AbstractResourceLoader.loadClass(AbstractResourceLoader.java:37)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe.core.resources.ResourceLoaderDefaultImpl.loadClass(ResourceLoaderDefaultImpl.java:28)
	at org.eclipse.emf.mwe.utils.StandaloneSetup.addRegisterGeneratedEPackage(StandaloneSetup.java:307)
	... 34 more

I’ve tried a full re-install (blow away all source, the yoxos launcher, the openhab yoxos profile, etc. and re-download).
I’ve deleted the .project file in the suggested directory.
I’ve recreated the openhab target profile.
I verified I’m set for Java 1.7.
I’ve cleaned the project.
I’ve re-applied the target profile.

Any thoughts?

I’m running OSX 10.11
JDK 1.7

I used the pure Eclipse approach and no issues for me. Also, I am on windows.
Try using Java version 1.8. I also saw another thread (different issue) where the correct Java version was not linked to the system path (the user had v1.6 linked even after he had v1.7 installed)
Make sure the project in Eclipse is set to the correct compliance level and there is a java instance defined for this compliance level.

Hi Bill -
Are you using the Yoxos or Pure Eclipse approach?

That error means JDK 1.6 is still being used somehow. Check your eclipse settings under Windows menu -> preferences -> Java -> Installed JREs
Add JDK 1.7 or 1.8 if they are not there, and set one of those as default. Maybe even remove JDK 1.6 from there too

Good luck

Thanks, mganapa! Running the full install of Eclipse rather than Yoxos fixed it… I’m up and running now.

Thanks all!