My logs broke today, not sure why

i’m not sure what happens but i came home today determined to fix a contact sensor that hasn’t been working for awhile. i removed it and brought it closer to the controller. i proceeded to turn on zwave debugging but i got an error:

Error executing command: Unrecognized configuration

this was around 9pm my time. i then discovered that logs just stopped working about 20 minutes before. the last message i see in openhab.log is from one of my rules (“closeOutsideDoors”). i tried restarting openhab (in docker) and even the server it runs on and no luck. it turns out a few “log:*” commands are failing and even a simple log:display

https://asciinema.org/a/rmOaZDptQVZ1NjZ01QjCMQ4qR

the filesystem is not full and the log folder is only about 8MB:

du -hs userdata/*
143M    userdata/cache
288K    userdata/config
276K    userdata/etc
2.5M    userdata/jsondb
4.0K    userdata/kar
7.9M    userdata/logs
129M    userdata/persistence
8.0K    userdata/secrets
52M     userdata/tmp
12K     userdata/zigbee
744K    userdata/zwave

the docker host has tons of free ram (48gb free)

docker stats on the container look like this:
CONTAINER ID NAME CPU % MEM USAGE / LIMIT MEM % NET I/O BLOCK I/O PIDS
6fc18f9453b2 openhab-openhab-1 1.57% 1.876GiB / 62.72GiB 2.99% 7.63MB / 21.8MB 568MB / 592MB 277

Please take a look at userdata/etc/ (userdata/ should be a docker volume)
look at the file org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg, which should look like

org.ops4j.pax.logging.log4j2.config.file=${karaf.etc}/log4j2.xml

which is another file in the same folder. If the link is correct, inspect the file log4j2.xml.
If the file is broken, here’s the link to the default file: openhab-distro/log4j2.xml at main · openhab/openhab-distro · GitHub

Interesting, that pax logging file is empty:

replaced it with a copy from a backup (matched your example) and it worked. i wonder what would edit this particular file. other files in the directory look intact and i was not at home at the log message stored in the logs and my scripts log quite frequently so i didn’t manually break it.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.