My struggle with Zwave.. HEEEEELP

From the moment I started with OH2 until now, I have not been able to use the scene channel of a WALLC-S. While trying to get it to work I have tried a lot of things that I did not document. The fact that it did not recognize the device even though the node is in the network and manually woken-up multiple times, could be an issue. But as I am not able to explain how I got to that point, let’s try and continue from where I am now…( If the unrecognized device is indeed an issue, it will pop-up again… :slight_smile: ) What differs from all my previous tries: I switched off secure inclusion as someone pointed out that the current binding does not yet support it (and I was not even aware I was using it anyway :slight_smile: )

I understand a log is needed, no need to apologies… No need anyway, I really appreciate you taking time to help me!

I suggest that we get the database updated - I’ll remove the extra IDs and update the binding tonight, then let’s see where we are tomorrow. Hopefully it will detect the device ok, and we can work on outstanding issues…

I am a bit confused, I have updated to latest build:
196 | Active | 80 | 2.0.0.201609152232 | ZWave Binding

But that’s not the one that you mentioned for me to test, is it Chris? (But this is the one I get when I update)…

Damn. Sorry - I keep forgetting that nightly builds don’t work any more. I’ll trigger an update now and you can probably use it as soon as it’s done by updating again in (say) 30 minutes.

thanks

The build has completed, so hopefully if you update you should get the latest (I hope!).

Updating was successful :slight_smile:

Added the WALLS-C, it is recognised as a WALLC-S , so that’s one down .
By default the switch appears to be in central scene mode, trying to set all groups to to use it in Scene mode for each button separately. So now trying to get the parameters accepted.

It is the first time I actually see a scene number in a channel!! so that’s a great step too

So far they all stay pending… might have to replace the battery… will update you on the status

We’re getting there :smiley:

You’ll need to wake up the device (I don’t know how this is done - normally there’s a switch you press - sometimes 3 times) for the data to be transferred. If the wakeup interval has been set correctly, then the device will automatically wake up at some point - normally the binding will set this to 1 hour unless it was set to a different value.

Excellent :slight_smile:

I wake it by putting it in management mode (all 4 buttons, then button 2: send information frame/wake-up) I see the wake-up in the log, but it goes to sleep before emptying the message queue it seems…

Standard wake-up time for the WALLC-S is 24 hours :expressionless:

Will also replace the battery, these things eat batteries.(other users of this wallc-s complain that)

If you can get a log it would be good - it would be good to see from the time you send the config value in HABmin, to the time you wake up.

There is a bug somewhere where the binding wants to do a ping, and sometimes this gets stuck which prevents much else happening - it would be good to see if this is an issue here…

Here’s a log from the moment I wake-up the WALL-C at 20:34, so log contains:

• Manual wake-up
  • Manual wake-up
  • Pressed a button (central -scene change)
  • Manual wake-up couple of times.

Parameters are all pending, see screenshot

Not able to set any parameters… If it is indeed the bug you mention: is there a workaround?

There’s nothing obviously wrong - the binding is trying to send the requests, but the device isn’t responding. The only thing I can think of is that according to the manual, clicking on button 2 sends the NIF, and then the WAKEUP NOTIFICATION. I see this in the log, and the binding sends the request with it receives the NIF (since it treats it the same as a wakeup since most devices assume this is the case). The binding therefore sends the request, and then receives the wakeup notification - the request then times out. Maybe this device is different and isn’t really awake until later.

I would suggest waiting for the routine wakeup and see if anything changes.

But if I do this exact same thing on openHAB 1.8, with these 2 hardware components (controller + WALLC) , parameters are accepted by the device within 10 seconds after pressing wake-up. Like said the same scenario I have not got to work on OH2 while in OH1.8 all it took was 5 minutes (including inclusion and all)…

Will try and do that again tomorrow (the side by side comparison that is…)

Maybe, but OH2 might be different with timing, so I don’t think you can just assume it will be the same. At the moment, all I can really say is what I see in the log - I’ll paste it below so you can see what I mean -:

This clearly shows the NIF received, then the binding sending the CONFIGURATION_SET command, and then the WAKEUP_NOTIFICATION is received. The device does not respond to this - I’m open to other thoughts of course on how to interpret this but it would be interesting to see what happens when the device wakes up by itself.

I will wait for the node to wake-up by itself…Although I hope this is an error:

(that’s 7 days)

It’s probably not an error - it’s probably been read back from the device. If the device already has a value set, then the binding won’t override it - if it’s set to 0, the binding will set it to 1 hour…

Maybe that’s too long to wait ;). I guess the other thing to do is your side by side comparison of OH1 and OH2 and send me the logs for both and I’ll see if that helps.

Screenshots and logs can be found here

OpenHab1.8 scenario:

• 20:59 Started inclusion
    Node 9: unknown
  • 21:00 Manual wake-up of the WALLC-S
    Node 9: WALLC-S
    Screenshot openHAB1.8-001.png
  • Changed parameters
    Screenshot openHAB1.8-002.png
  • 21:05 Manual wake-up of WALLC-S
    Screenshot 3

(It is indeed almost within 5 minutes).

Removed Node from network…

openHAB2 scenario:

• 20:18 Started inclusion
    New thing found, added
    Node 10:Unknown
  • 21:20 Manual wake-up of the WALLC-S
    Device still unknow, deleted thing
  • Discovery (and thus inclusion) started, new thing found (the already included node10), added.
    Node 10: WALLC-S
    Screenshot openHAB2-001.png
  • Changed parameters
    Screenshot openHAB2-002.png
  • 21:27 Manual wake-up of the WALLC-S
    Screenshot openHAB2-003.png
  • 21:28 Manual wake-up of the WALLC-S (to no avail)

There is a small quirk here: I see in the log that node 10 information is known. But it does not show up as such in habmin (reloaded page, etc.). Removing the node and rediscovering it (without of course actually doing the inclusion, it is already included) makes it show up as WALLC-S

Hope this helps to find what is different and why it has this impact

I thought of trying a workaround (the family is asking for the return of their light switch :smiley: ). Tried to do the setup in OH1.8 and then switch to OH2…

So I setup the 2 most needed switches (Living room and kitchen) and changed the parameters in OH1.8, then switched to OH2.
Now I see 2 issues:

1. The second switch (Node11) I cannot get to change from unknown to WALLC-S and there for has no channels setup.
  2. The first switch (Node10) does have 3 channels, one of them being the scene number. And although in the zwave log the scene changes are clearly there, the scene channels does not change…

Could the workaround work? Or does it make the nodes and the binding out of sync?

It should work I think - if you can configure it in 1.8, then it will stay configured and 2.0 should be synced anyway as it should read back the configuration.

Hopefully you find something by comparing the 1.8 and 2 log because I am stuck at the moment.