My struggle with Zwave.. HEEEEELP

@chris, I understand your analysis. Looking at the log, that indeed appears to be happening…
But how, in your opinion, would I (we) deal with this? What is your proposal on that (if any)?

I knew you would ask this, but at the moment I don’t have one. I didn’t add anything in my initial response as I need to think about it and look at the code.

We could remove the use of the NIF as a wakeup, but this was added for a reason as I think some devices didn’t send the wakeup! I might do this though as a proof of concept at least so that we can see if this is really the problem - I’ll let you know when I get a chance to look at the code.

I tried to ask the question as neutral as possible making sure not to sound demanding :smiley:

I have come-up with another work-around:
added 2 WALLC-S switches using openhab1.8 and set the wake-up time to 1 hour. Then switched back to OH2 hoping that when I come home tonight both devices are working fine, so I can set the parameters I want, wait at most one hour and then continue adapting my rules to make use of those switches…

If you have anything for me to test, to create a log from etc.: just let me know and I will…

No problem ;).

A log of this would be good - if we can prove that this works when the NIF is not sent first that would be good as it will help to decide how to proceed.

Clearly this needs to be fixed properly - its a question of how is best without causing a problem with a different device…

I am back with a another test on the WALLC-S. First of all, I like to thank Chris for its contribution to the OpenHAB software! Your work is contributing every day, especially when the lights are going on and off :slight_smile:

So I am trying to help here on the WALLC-S challenge. Yesterday I was able to get my WALLC-S recognized. Today the test is repeated, using a clean install. I was not able to get my device recognized:

2.0.0-SNAPSHOT
Build #487 (from cloudbees)

Started with offline version, nothing installed yet.
Adding log4j, separate zwave logging file
Extensions->Bindings->Z-Wave binding
Things->"+"->Z-Wave binding->Z-Wave Serial Controller-> Serial Port:(/dev/ttyACM0)

Controller shows ‘Online’

This is my configuration:
Z_Wave Node 1: ZME USB stick
Z-Wave Node 6: FGS221 Double Relay Switch 2x1.5kW
Z-Wave Node 7: FGD211 Universal Dimmer 500W
Z-Wave Node 8: FGD211 Universal Dimmer 500W
Z-Wave Node 9: WALLC-S Controller*)
Z-Wave Node 15: WALLC-S Controller*)
Z-Wave Node 17: FGRM222 Roller Shutter*)
Z-Wave Node 18: FGD212 Dimmer 2
Z-Wave Node 21: WALLC-S Controller*)
Z-Wave Node 24: NS210 Smart Powernode*)
Z-Wave Node 22: PAN04 In Wall Dual Relay(1 Way) Switch Module 2x 1.5kW with power meter
Z-Wave Node 28: FGBS001 Universal Binary Sensor

*) not recognized by OH2, node 17 identified by (010F:0301:1001:22.22)

After refresh and search again
4 devices are reported as ‘Unknown zwave device’
Node 9, 15, 21, 24
1 device is reported without proper name:
Z-Wave Node 17 (010F:0301:1001:22.22)

Removed all unknown devices and searched again (14:53 in the log file):
Did not change the outcome.

I tried to get the WALLC-S recognized again. But that failed. Woke up the
device several times and it did not work.

Created two zwave log files. Changed the extension, otherwise the file was rejected by the forum system.

zwave.log.1.7z.pdf (434.8 KB)
zwave.7z.pdf (312.9 KB)

Can you confirm the version of this device? Fibaro seem to have started with these strange version numbers and I know for example that version 2.5 is reported by the device as 25.25, so I wonder if this is version 2.2?

Regarding the WALLC-S not being detecting now, If this is the same issue as I describe above then there’s likely to be a timing issue which might add to the variability. I’ll try and take a look at the log later.

Hi Chris,

For your information, OH1 reports it correctly (to be more precise all items are working fine in OH1). I hope that the next picture contains the information you need:

Hmmm - even more confusing unfortunately as I don’t know if this is correct either… What is written on the box (if you have the box) or the manual that came with the device, or even the device if you can access it might have the version…

OH1 has the wrong database though that’s the problem. The OH2 database has added new devices to account for different versions, so it would be good to understand exactly what version this is…

Thanks.

Hi Chris,
Thanks for explaining. Below the information found:

I have the box and the manual. From the box:

• Roller Shutter 2
  • Product code (bar code on box) 5-902020-528227
  • A sticker is on the box which says: 12/2 EU, 23-03-2015

The manual states: Fibaro Roller Shutter FGRM222 v2.1-v2.3
Other version info is not mentioned in the manual.

I do not have access to the module itself.

I can confirm that setting the wake-up time of the WALLC-S to 1 hour in OH1.8 and then using it in OH2 indeed works like a charm: I am using the scenes to switch on/off the lights like I was used to in in OH1 setup (but the new scene mechanism makes a rule using scenes is much “cleaner”)…

Will send the log as soon as I can :slight_smile:

Thanks for this @dries_dokter - that’s really good… Of course now I need to work out what to do, but at least I think we now know what the problem is which is hard hard part ;).

And here’s the log…

Thank you for your help @chris … Will try to give back by describing my experiences in the OH2 manuals.

@chris I have now added all switches one of the older ones (WCD2) appears to be in the database, but is not recognized.
It shows (0115:0100:0004:1.3) Unknown Device not quite sure what I need to do to get this solved (don’t want to raise an issue if not needed, no problems adding it to the database if necessary but it is already there… )

Just let me know what I can do in terms of " self help " :slight_smile: and I will

It’s strange how things like this come in groups. Only yesterday I had an email from someone about this device ;).

I added this to the database last night, but I keep forgetting that the builds don’t work automatically, so I need to trigger a build which I’ve just done. It should take about 20 minutes, so if you try and update the binding in 30 minutes or so, it will hopefully be found.

I find it amazing that the timeframes you mention are in minutes… in stead of days :wink:
Been meaning to ask you, in stead of retrieving the complete build through cloudbees, would this work to update the zwave binding in karaf?

openhab> bundle:list | grep -i zwave
188 | Active   |  80 | 2.0.0.201609222252    | ZWave Binding
openhab> bundle:update 188

I’m not sure - the easiest way is to use HABmin or PaperUI. Go to the extensions menu, uninstall ZWave, wait 5 or 10 seconds, then install it again. This will pick up the latest version - assuming you’re using the online version and not the offline, and you’re using the snapshot version and not the ‘beta’ versions.

Probably the karaf command does the same thing, but I’m not sure.

The update works, it is now a know device :slight_smile:

Been meaning to ask you, in stead of retrieving the complete build through cloudbees, would this work to update the zwave binding in karaf?

openhab> bundle:list | grep -i zwave
188 | Active | 80 | 2.0.0.201609222252 | ZWave Binding
openhab> bundle:update 188

it does. I’ve started using that method as well vs. the uninstall/reinstall

Nevermind, I thought it had worked for me recently but now it doesn’t seem to be updating. So back to uninstall/reinstall.

Hi guys,
Did you guys ever resolved this?
Mine is showing up as:
Z-Wave Node 4
Unknown Device

and in openhab.log:

2018-10-11 11:47:09.157 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 4: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! 7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF::0.0
2018-10-11 11:47:09.162 [INFO ] [g.discovery.internal.PersistentInbox] - Added new thing 'zwave:device:controller:node4' to inbox.

Im on Openhab 2.3.0