Myopenhab not reachable

Hi @Erop,

Google Assistant doesnā€™t read exposed items, but it does require the cloud connector to be functioning. So if youā€™re only using GA, then you donā€™t need to expose any items via PaperUI.

The key here is that you need to have your items tagged and labelled in text-based .items files. Thereā€™s currently no way to do that in PaperUI. If youā€™re already using .items files, then ALL of your items must have labelsā€¦not just the ones that you want GA to see.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Yes. I came across this thread with a new OH installation and the need for IFTTT (itā€™s the only supported platform by my sleep / bed sensors). It works for me and my two items are not list in OH.

The cloud connector simply exposes the REST API via https://myopenhab.org so you can interact with any of your items.

" ALL of your items must have labels" - maybe itā€™s my issue. Iā€™ll check.
@rpwong, thanks a lot!

1 Like

I think that was mentioned much earlier in this thread or another one. I didnā€™t understand what the person was saying at first, because I habitually include labels on all of my items (so it didnā€™t affect me).

Please report back if this solves your problem. I havenā€™t tested it myself, but if it is the issue then I think the docs could be edited for clarity.

It wasnā€™t my case, because all my items already has labels (later I found this note in documentation - https://www.openhab.org/docs/ecosystem/google-assistant/ ).

Iā€™ve always received ā€œunable to update settings. Please check connectionā€ without any details at my side or at myopenhab.org. Iā€™ve found that one of my items has 2 tags (ā€œLightingā€, ā€œSwitchableā€):

Bedroom_Light2 (Type=SwitchItem, State=OFF, Label=Light 2, Category=light, Tags=[Lighting, Switchable], Groups=[Home])

Iā€™ve removed one tag and everything connected ok now! GA is working after many hours of debug!!!
I can be wrong, but this item line was generated by home builder.

Itā€™s a simple issue, but unfortunately error handling is so awful that itā€™s not possible to understand whatā€™s wrong :frowning:

Russel, thanks for your help. It was valuable note that items are not required to be ā€œexposedā€ to cloud to work with GA.

Hello,

@digitaldan , there is several disconnections today. There is a problem ? Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi, apologies if Iā€™ve missed a thread, but as of today, should I be able to expose a new item (my 10th) to Openhab cloud to use with IFTTT integration?

I have nine items exposed for a while, but trying to expose a 10th fails. Iā€™ve followed the same (and presumably correct) steps Iā€™ve done previously, exercised its state etcā€¦

Thanks
Steve

Yes this is concerning for me aswell. Request @digitaldan for items being exposed to the cloud be re-enabled as they do not cause any server load issue. So ifttt --> openhab items trigger works as expected.

I havenā€™t seen any updated news so Iā€™m not 100%, but if it is the same as when This thread was started the situation is that

Existing items exposed via myOH cloud will continue to work
New items exposed since this thread will not be found and so will not work.

Hi

Ok. Thanks for the update. A couple of questions for the community please:-

1. can anyone say when this will be re-enabled? I fully appreciate the immense amount of hard work that goes into this project, for free, but seems to have been an issue for some time? Is the a plan to fix?

2. on one related thread Iā€™ve seen a mention of Webhooks being a potential alternative to integrate OpenHab with IFTTT. (I.e. Webhooks is the ā€˜Thatā€™ in IFTTT) and this avoids the need to expose items. Does anyone have any detail on how this could be done?

Many Thanks
Steve

1 Like
  1. The million dollar questionā€¦

2. See post 138 by mgbowman above in this threadā€¦the downside is that it passes your username and password in plain text. No problems if youā€™re not fussed but itā€™s not something I want to be doing.

1. Thanks so much. Should have scrolled back. Appreciated!

Is this (all items must have a tag in .items file) just specific to Google Assistant, or is the same true for the Alexa skill?

Yes, as clearly stated in the docs:

https://www.openhab.org/docs/ecosystem/alexa/#amazon-alexa-smart-home-skill

Iā€™m sorry, but no itā€™s not. It clearly states you need the tags, but is silent on whether specifying those within PaperUI is sufficient. Currently, Iā€™m suspecting that it isnā€™t sufficient as my items are not being discovered by Alexa even though Iā€™ve given them appropriate tags. If this is the case it might be nice to explicitly state so.

Did I miss something or how can you tag an item using PaperUI?

There is a ā€œcategoryā€ parameter. Is that not the same?

If not, and I need .items files, is there some guidance on constructing the items files for zigbee and zwave devices?

No, category is not the same as tagging. YouĀ“ll need to either create items files or use the Rest Api.

Hi,

I regularly have the problem that my raspberry pi 4 is no longer connected to the cloud. This week I have had it twice. It was offline from 7to 7h(12h) I think there is a reconnect somewhere every 12h?

I get status code 500ter back in my app. All notifications are still working though.

I noticed that the problem is solved after unplugging and directly deer plugging in the network cable.

Can anyone help me?