Mysterious Wemo Failure - fix or alternative?

After working perfectly for months my one WeMo switch has stopped responding to OpenHab. It works fine with the WeMo app.

OpenHab thinks it is working and reports it “ONLINE” and turning “OFF” and “ON” as expected, but the switch does not switch.

In my troubleshooting I have set up a fresh OpenHab on another Raspberry Pi with one binding (WeMo). That too does not spot the WeMo switch.

I am thinking that it might be the Wemo Switch itself, but when I get OpenHab to search for a Wemo device I see this in openhab.log on my trusty max2play production server (but the test server is totally clean when it searches).

java.lang.NullPointerException: null
        at org.openhab.binding.squeezebox.internal.discovery.SqueezeBoxServerDiscoveryParticipant.getThingUID(SqueezeBoxServerDiscoveryParticipant.java:100) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.squeezebox.internal.discovery.SqueezeBoxServerDiscoveryParticipant.createResult(SqueezeBoxServerDiscoveryParticipant.java:56) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.discovery.upnp.internal.UpnpDiscoveryService.remoteDeviceAdded(UpnpDiscoveryService.java:198) [200:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.discovery.upnp:0.10.0.oh240]
        at org.jupnp.registry.RemoteItems$1.run(RemoteItems.java:114) [205:org.jupnp:2.5.1]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]

I am on 2.4.0 Release Build, with java version “1.8.0_191”
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_191-b12)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 25.191-b12, mixed mode) and I have cleared my cache and rebooted.

I am guessing my question is “Should my next step be buying a new WeMo for testing or another more reliable switch for OpenHab - if so, what?”

You can search the forum for „Wemo relyability“ and find a link to a new Binding version which solved an ugly issue wirh the Switch.

Thanks. I had found that thread but didn’t fancy upgrading, but have now taken the plunge.

I have installed 2.5.0M4 but now have the problem others have seen in that the old wemo binding will not leave the Paper UI interface. I just can’t install the 2.5.0M5 Wemo binding and have it work because the old one blocks it somehow.

When the 2.5.0M4 binding is installed the binding in the bindings list does not show any wemo devices, and in karaf the binding is displayed.

If I uninstall it then the old binding is displayed but does not find anything and does not appear in karaf at all. Very confusing! I have spent a lot of time looking for solutions to this, but drawn a blank.

Somehow (repeated cache flushing?) I managed to make the zombie wemo binding, but sadly, with the new binding I still cannot see the Wemo.