Need advice for a completely new setup for an automated room for an MS patient

With Zooz switches, I only need one for my basement staircase. A regular wall switch at the bottom of the stairs triggers the Zooz switch. Much less expensive than buying a GE switch & a slave one too.

1 Like

Will definitely check those out next
 good to know. Thanks

1 Like

Hi all and specially to @cscholz,

Sorry for the late response. A lot of good feedback has been written.

To make it short. Our set up is using zwave. Thermostats, lamps, relays, plugs and roller shutter have been used already. Other things are integrated if no zwave components exist. For example we used the nuki smart lock to open front doors. And most of the time harmony hubs to control TVs etc. We are using echo dot and hue emulation at the moment to get minimum impacts if there is a outage. We send a pre-configured solution, which most of the time is plug and play. If we send relays, you will need an electrician.

If you need direct support use the page myfreehome.de to apply. Due to a backlog of projects you will have to wait about 3 month.

All the best and hope to here from you.
Regards
Thomas

Hello Thomas and thanks a lot for that offer.

At this time there will be people on your list that need you much more than I do, because I don’t need a solution right now and so far, it’s not too complicated. I will definitely contact you via your site or here if that changes.

Thanks everyone for their input so far, here is a quick update:

I bought a single RGBWW 62x62cm panel for testing. It included a mi-light controller and a 24V transformer. I also bought a WiFi controller ibox2. I hooked up the ibox2 to my WiFi and 
 found out that the original mi-light controller doesn’t appear to work. It pairs with the ibox2, but simply ignores any commands.
Well fine, I wanted a Z-Wave setup anyway, so:

I installed and configured openHAB on my server and added a Z-Wave USB stick
to the setup. I also bought a Qubino RGBW Z-Wave Dimmer. I removed the controller from the LED panel and replaced it with the Qubino. Aaaand then I learned that RGBWW is different from RGBW :slightly_smiling_face:
The controls worked and I had colored light like I wanted, but it was awfully dim, because the white LEDs in the panel weren’t being used. I tried hooking up one set of white LEDs to the Qubino’s white channel, degrading my RGBWW panel to RGBW, but they never lit up. So I bit the bullet and connected the two white channels to the Qubino’s blue channel, on top of the blue. That actually worked and, while I have distorted colors, I now have bright light and I can change the colors well enough for my needs.

There appear to be no RGBWW Z-Wave Plus controllers on the market, any hints there?

So, then I found out that my server is too far away from my room, there were a bunch of communication errors that went away when I put the panel closer to the server. I moved the USB Z-Wave stick to a Mac Mini that I intend to keep in my room anyway and installed openHAB on that. Jep, now the setup works.

Next step: Voice control. Do you have any hints on which system to use? Apple HomeKit, Alexa, 

Thanks for reading my rambling, but I told you I’d keep you updated :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Cheers
Chris