Need for tweak in homeassistant discovery for Tasmota > 12

Tasmota v12.x has dropped the homeassistant mqtt discovery in favor of their own. So discovery messages look like

tasmota/discovery/3494546279D8/config {"ip":"10.0.0.151","dn":"Fountain","fn":["Garden Fountain","",null,null,null,null,null,null],"hn":"garden-fountain","mac":"3494546279D8","md":"Generic","ty":0,"if":0,"ofln":"Offline","onln":"Online","state":["OFF","ON","TOGGLE","HOLD"],"sw":"12.0.2","t":"345picX","ft":"%prefix%/%topic%/","tp":["cmnd","stat","tele"],"rl":[1,2,0,0,0,0,0,0],"swc":[-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1],"swn":[null,null,null,null,null,null,null,null],"btn":[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],"so":{"4":0,"11":0,"13":0,"17":0,"20":0,"30":0,"68":0,"73":0,"82":0,"114":0,"117":0},"lk":1,"lt_st":1,"sho":[0,0,0,0],"sht":[[0,0,0],[0,0,0],[0,0,0],[0,0,0]],"ver":1}

instead of the old homeassistant/discovery
Iā€™m thinking the easiest place would be to add this option in the mqtt binding but in homeassistant it looks like they went the route of creating a different plugin.

Erik.

Interesting. I wonder what motivated the developer to remove it.

I suggest filing an issue in GitHub. Thereā€™s a better chance that the binding developer will see it there.

Good ideaā€¦ [mqtt] Add Tasmota Discovery Ā· Issue #13217 Ā· openhab/openhab-addons (github.com)

1 Like

It seems that we would need a whole separate (mqtt) binding to support tasmota. @Jorg_Ostertag started working on one but there hasnā€™t been any updates lately.

I manually set up all my things / items files for Tasmota with the help of my things/items generator, so I am not affected with this change.

Yes ā€¦ was a little more work than I thought. But a start was done by migrating the old binding to a newer OH-Version.
But currently (and most likely in the near future) other tasks here got much higher priority for me.Thatā€™s the reason nothing has been done there.
From what I last remembered ā€¦
the binding was able to autodetect switches and Temperature and create channels from that.
This should be a good start ā€¦

Is somewhere jar build to download? I canā€™t build it because ā€œorg.jetbrains cannot be resolvedā€.

If Joerg donā€™t have resources to maintain, is there any other to continue?

Well contributing would be one thing but assuming the build can be fixed, what would be the next step? The contributions to the official openhab addons seem to have too many strict rules for external contributors. Iā€™ve seen other openhab plugins die in github repos - there is the wiz plugin as well that is stuck in limbo. I might consider putting couple hours to look into this build but Iā€™ve seen PRs in the main repo stuck for a very long time.

Itā€™s reasonable for OH core strategists to enforce standards. Of course that means that binding developers may or may not put the effort in to meet those standards.

You should look into the ā€˜marketplaceā€™ which allows 3rd-party add-ons outside of core openHAB. Of course the developer then takes on support for their offering.

Hereā€™s an example of that going on in real time

I do get the core standards - I think the issue today is that the official documentation only mentions the contribution to the core whereas developers should more realistically be directed to an easy path to publish to the marketplace. I thought OH3 moved away from some of the Eclipse stuff. Is the Eclipse marketplace still used today?

At the end of the day, there should be an easy path for someone to create a plugin in a github repo and have it visible once built instantly in the OH3 Addons - even if it says unverified.

Thtā€™s only helpful if this developer is prepared to support the user community. If itā€™s just for you, choose any path you like, but donā€™t expect hand-holding.

Wrll, I pointed you at the beginning of the marketplace introduction in an earlier OH version. That came about as a result of many discussions word-for-word saying just that.

You could look at more recent discussions of course

Thatā€™s where I disagree - having a non supported solution is IMO better than none even if there is no hand holding. From an end user perspective, the messaging can be clear with ā€œunverifiedā€ or something else.

Anyway thanks for the links, I will see if I can figure out a way to publish the wiz addon in the marketplace as a starting point.

1 Like